The Mayan calendar ends on December 21, 2012, and some people believe that means this is the day the world will end. We at the NerdWallet Conspiracy Theory Department believe it’s better to be safe than sorry, and since television and movies have taught us that every apocalypse has its survivors, we want you to be able to count yourself among them. Take our quiz to find out if you’re prepared for the end of the world.
1. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there, and if the apocalypse happens, it might turn into a human-eat-human world. You don’t want to be an easy target. Are you physically intimidating?
a. Chuck Norris cries gently whenever he sees me
b. No, but I have potential. I’m scrappy and I can grow a moustache/glue one on my face
c. I am a skinny vegetarian (JK I’m actually a vegan)
2. When the world ends, the markets will crash and many financial institutions will likely close. Where do you keep your money?
a. I have spread out my money. Some is invested, some is in a checking account at a bank or credit union and I keep at least $100 at home for emergencies
b. I don’t have any cash kept at home for emergencies, but I have $30 in my wallet
c. I have no cash on me
3. With no organized government or banks, money might not matter in the post-apocalyptic future. What can you barter?
a. I have a bomb shelter with a stockpile of canned food, containers of gasoline and weapons
b. My hunting and gathering skills! I’m basically Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games
c. I own nothing of value other than my winning personality and good looks
4. The apocalypse might result in drastic environmental changes, such as a heat wave, ice age or tsunamis. Do you have indoor shelter?
a. I am a homeowner
b. I’m a renter—hopefully my landlord doesn’t evict me once money is of no value
c. I don’t have a place of my own – I live with my parents or am nomadic/a rolling stone
5. You’ll have to rely on others and hopefully join a roving band of survivors. Do you play well with others, including both humans and zombies?
a. Zombies love me! Some of my best friends are zombies!
b. People think I’m okay
c. Everyone hates me
If you answered mostly A’s
You’ll do great after the apocalypse. Maybe you’ll have your own cave and your friends will share their cans of Spam with you. You’ll have a garden and some mangy mutant dogs.
If you answered mostly B’s
You might be ok. Although you will live in fear, you’ll have a ragtag group of friends to help you out as you live life one day at a time.
If you answered mostly C’s
Someone definitely, for sure will eat you.
But don’t be too down, there are some perks of the apocalypse as well. You’ll have new friendships with zombies and potentially aliens—who doesn’t like meeting new people? And you’ll be exonerated from the shackles of your student debt! Sallie Mae can never find you where you’ll be hiding.
Disclaimer: We do not actually believe that the world will end on December 21, 2012. However, we do believe that it’s important to engage in some smart financial practices, such as keeping emergency cash at home, having a secure housing situation and building up savings that can last you 3-6 months in case of an emergency.
End of the world image from Shutterstock