Best Cities for Single Women
This Valentine’s Day, couples will be cozying up to each other over wine and chocolate and Marvin Gaye. Single ladies might be organizing Galentine’s Day parties like Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation, or just treating it like any other day.
But if you’re unsuccessfully searching for dates, maybe the problem is the city, not you.
To find out the best cities for single heterosexual women, we asked three questions:
1. Are the odds in your favor? We looked at the ratio of unmarried men to unmarried women—if there are more available men than women in the city, your odds of finding a date are increased.
2. Is it easy to meet people? To see if your lifestyle in the city is conducive to meeting people, we calculated the number of bars and gyms per 1,000 residents and we looked at the Walk Score, which measures how easy it is to live without a car in the city. If you’re living in a city with stores and restaurants and bars, it is easier to meet people than if you live in a sprawled-out town where you are car-dependent.
3. Can you afford to date? We calculated the cost of a cheap date: a movie ticket, 12-inch Pizza Hut pizza and 6-pack of Heineken. In addition, we also measured whether you can afford to date by looking at the unemployment rate of the city to maximize the chances that you and your date are both employed. No scrubs!
Best cities for single women
1. San Francisco, CA
With a whopping 116.2 unmarried men for every 100 unmarried women, San Francisco makes it easy to meet guys. The large amount of gyms and bars and highly walkable city layout make it easy to meet people, and although dates are on the pricey side, the unemployment rate is lower than most big cities. Plus, the city is known for its delicious food, so you can explore San Francisco’s restaurant scene on your dates.
2. Seattle, WA
With its large amount of bars and gyms, it’s clear that Seattle is a city of fit beer-drinkers. The city is very walkable, and the ratio of men to women works in your favor, ladies. Dates are quite pricey because the cost of living is fairly high here. Settle in for some cozy coffee dates in the home of some of the nation’s best coffee shops.
Among singles, San Diego has a whopping ratio of almost 5 unmarried men for every 4 unmarried women. Although the number of bars and gyms, unemployment rate, Walk Score and date costs are all around average, the ratio alone makes the city friendly to single ladies. Plus, the city is full of fun things to do—you can enjoy the gorgeous beaches, head to the zoo or go hiking.
4. Denver, CO
Denver’s ratio of men to women is close to even, but still slightly in favor of women. The city has a ton of bars and gyms, and the layout is fairly walkable. Dates are on the cheap side here, and unemployment is moderate, making it a great city for single women. Outdoorsy dates are common here, and you can always plan a romantic weekend getaway to the mountains.
5. Austin, TX
Austin, Texas has a high ratio of unmarried men to unmarried women—almost 6 to 5. The city has many bars and gyms, and although it’s not particularly walkable, the unemployment rate is very low, making it overall an excellent city for single women. With its thriving music scene, Austin’s great social life makes the city extremely date-friendly.
6. San Jose, CA
San Jose has a whopping ratio of 126 unmarried men for every 100 unmarried women—that’s more than 5 men for every 4 women! Although the city has a high cost of living, average Walk Score and high unemployment rate, the odds you’ll meet plenty of single guys are high. The city is full of fun things to do as well as more traditional dates—you can get dinner and a movie in Santana Row.
7. Houston, TX
Houston has a great ratio of men to women (115 men for every 100 women), a low cost of living and a low unemployment rate, making it a great city for single women. Houston is known for its delicious Tex-Mex food, so the city has plenty of dinner date options.
8. Honolulu, HI
With 114 men for every 100 women, it’s likely that single women will meet plenty of single men. Honolulu has a moderate amount of bars and gyms per capita, and the city is walkable as well. Although the cost of living is high, the unemployment rate is low, and the weather is great for going out on the town and hanging out at the beach.
9. Boston, MA
Although Boston has fewer unmarried men than unmarried women, the plethora of gyms and bars and the walkable layout all make it likely that you’ll meet members of the opposite sex. The cost of living is high, but unemployment is low, and between Red Sox games, dining on Italian food in the North End and visiting the local breweries, you’ll find plenty of great date activities.
10. Dallas, TX
Dallas has a high ratio of unmarried men to unmarried women, a low cost of living and a low unemployment rate, making it a great city for single women. There’s a ton to do in Dallas as well—Dallas is known for its delicious barbecue food, authentic Mexican cuisine, arts venues and sports teams. Although the city itself isn’t particularly walkable, the city has many nearby trails for hiking and biking, making for great outdoorsy dates.
|Rank||City||Number of unmarried men per 100 unmarried women||Number of bars and gyms per 1,000 residents||Walk Score||Cost of a date||Unemployment rate||Overall score for women|
The overall score for women was derived from the following measures:
- Number of unmarried men per 100 unmarried women (ages 15 to 44) from the U.S. Census
- Number of bars and gyms per 1,000 residents from the yellow pages
- Walk Score
- Cost of a date (including a 12-inch Pizza Hut pizza, movie ticket and 6-pack of Heineken) from the ACCRA cost of living index
- Unemployment rate from the Bureau of Labor Statistics
The number of unmarried men per 100 unmarried women was weighted twice as much as the other measures because the overall score was comprised of three equal categories: odds of meeting someone of the opposite gender, ease of meeting people and affordability.
Looking for more city studies? Check these out:
- Most Expensive Cities
- Best Cities for Recent College Graduates
- Best and Worst Cities to be a Beer Drinker
Happy romantic couple image from Shutterstock