This year Veterans Day falls on Sunday, November 11th, with the federal government’s celebration of it occurring the day after on Monday, November 12th. NerdWallet wants to say thank you to our troops for everything that you do for us every day. We appreciate your service to our country in more ways than we can count, and we encourage every American to say thanks in any way that they can, however big or small.
President Obama also just signed a proclamation the first day of this month declaring November 2012 to be Military Family Month too, noting:
“Since our Nation’s earliest days, courageous men and women of all backgrounds and beliefs have banded together to fight for the freedoms we cherish. Behind each of them stands a parent, a sibling, a child, a spouse — proud family members who share the weight of deployment and make profound sacrifices on behalf of our country. During Military Family Month, we honor our military families and recommit to showing them the fullest care and respect of a grateful Nation.”
NerdWallet believes that behind each of these strong families lies the need for a strong financial footing, too. A solid financial foundation and education can help out every American family through thick and thin, so in honor of supporting our Armed Forces and their families this month – and every month of the year – we put together our favorite financial & personal finance blog resources aimed at helping out military members and their families and making them financially stronger and savvier every day.
The Military Wallet blog:
- Who they are: The Military Wallet is a personal finance website for military members, veterans and their families.
- Why they exist: “Our goal is to help the military community better understand how to manage money and understand the variety of programs and benefits available to them.”
Smart Military Money blog by Veterans United:
- Who they are: Veterans United Home Loans is the nation’s largest dedicated provider of VA Loans — dedicated to making the American dream of homeownership a reality for those who so bravely served.
- Why they exist: Smart Military Money provides “personal finance tips and
advice for the military lifestyle.”
Military Hub blog:
- Who they are: Military Hub delivers information to help make better money management choices, budget wisely, use military discounts, build wealth and save money on your way to a solid military retirement.
- Why they exist: “At Military Hub, we help you succeed at the most challenging military mission of all: achieving your lifetime goals, and helping your military family to reach theirs.”
Military Money Matters blog:
- Who they are: Military-Money-Matters.com was created just for America’s military families, because, quite simply, your money matters.
- Why they exist: To “take command of your finances!”
Military Money Might blog:
- Who they are: Personal Finance Help for Military Members & Their Families
- Why they exist: “This website is designed to help military members, veterans, and retirees find information about personal finance including savings, investing, retirement, TSP, and other items.”
Please check out these resources. We identified these top resources as particularly useful to military families looking to navigate through the complex regulations and options specifically available for both Veterans and active Members of the Military, as well as their loved ones, to make use of.