Martine Brousse

Martine Brousse

Martine is a Patient Advocate. He helps clients appeal denied claims, navigate the medical billing maze and reduce healthcare costs.

About Martine

“I use my extensive knowledge and experience helps patients understand and manage medical bills, reduce costs and save $”

I am a healthcare industry expert with over two decades of medical billing management experience and vast experience with the intricacies of navigating all types of payment claim issues. It was in direct response to what I saw as a lack of resources for patients to effectively anticipate and manage medical expenses that I created ADVIMED, my Patient Advocacy company.

Now working on the side of patients, I assist them with resolving the many issues they may face with medical providers and insurers. My services include: patient advocacy, bill auditing, fee negotiations, medical account management, insurance appeals and more. I am a certified mediator, and negotiate settlements or reduced fees with providers.

Applying my insider knowledge, familiarity with all aspects of the healthcare industry, creativity and skills, I present options, advise on strategy and find solutions. I foster collaboration and encourage dialogue to bring about successful resolutions. I bring patients the assurance that a bill is truly owed or fight a claim incorrectly processed.

I have written a guide to free resources, assistance, and support for cancer patients, and to methods and tips to save on medical costs.

I lecture at local Cancer Support Community Centers on various ways to save healthcare money and effectively resolve financial, insurance or billing issues.

Read my blogs for practical solutions, relevant information, useful news and insider tips on getting the best out of the healthcare industry. I strongly believe in educating and encouraging patients to become more active, and better informed participants in their care.

My goal as a professional private patient advocate is to provide my clients with personalized, expert, dedicated and trustworthy assistance. I pride myself on strong work ethics, compassion and integrity.

Even though there exists no established national or state certification or license, I abide by HIPAA guidelines and to the Patient Advocate Code of Conduct.I am a certified mediator, able to practice in all 50 states.


certification, Mediation, American Institute of Mediation
M Sc, Metaphysical Sciences, UMS



I am committed to providing you with my very best efforts and expertise. As a billing manager for 20 years, I provide my clients with insider knowledge and a vast experience of managing all levels of medical billing and insurance processes.

I am a certified mediator, using established laws and creative ways to resolve your financial liability issues.

From bill audits, to insurance appeals, to fee negotiations, I offer clients with strategy, options and the best results possible. 

Typical Clients


How I Can Help


Fee Structure

Commission Hourly Other Commission and Fee Fee-only Contingency
Learn more about how advisors are paid in our Guide to Advisor Compensation.

Typical minimum Client Assets:

No preference

Martine In The News


Phone: (424) 999-1631 Address: P.O. Box 43
Santa Monica, CA 90406

Martine has answered 212 questions

Results per page:
Sort By:
Martine Brousse
Answer added by Martine Brousse | 3408 views
11 out of 11 found this helpful

Whether it is covered is irrelevant. A covered benefit does not mean it is payable for everyone, under

more »

Whether it is covered is irrelevant. A covered benefit does not mean it is payable for everyone, under any circumstance.The important question is was any authorization requested?

A surgery, especially if elective, usually requires a pre-authorization from your insurance.

That is the surgeon's job to obtain. Appealing the insurance company is within your rights, however your chances of success depend on your policy and wording on your insurance Explanation of Benefit. 

If your policy states an authorization was required but not obtained, you are likely out of luck. Again, depending on the surgeon's "mistake", you may be able to appeal and ask for a retro-authorization. 

If the denial is: "elective" or "experimental" procedure, and an authorization was not required, then you have great chances of obtaining a reversal. What you need is to establish the "medical necessity' for the procedure, including previous less radical but unsuccessful treatments, list medications that did not work or that provoke side effects, physical therapy or any other modalities which were not helpful. Any MRI report or medical report from a specialist, determining that the only and last treatment option was this surgery, should be included. Your surgeon should provide you with this documentation, and file an appeal as well. 

If your appeal is denied, and depending on the state you reside in, you may be able to file a complaint or ask for an independent review through the insurance commissioner's office. Check your policy too for steps to file a second degree appeal. 

If all fails, you should negotiate lower fees, especially if neither the surgeon nor the facility checked on the requirement to get an authorization. 

Martine Brousse
Answer added by Martine Brousse | 1443 views
4 out of 4 found this helpful

I general yes. Charges for C/sections involve the use of the OR, the services of an anesthesiologist

more »

I general yes. Charges for C/sections involve the use of the OR, the services of an anesthesiologist and of a surgeon, as well as a longer hospital stay. All these charges (and including post op pain management, medications, supplies and  other services a regular delivery does not require) are expensive and may cost (tens of) thousands of dollars more than a regular delivery. 

Your cost will depend on your insurance and your policy. 

You will be responsible for a yearly deductible, yearly out-of-pocket costs (after you pay the deductible, your insurance pays a certain % of charges, leaving you with a balance) . In some cases you may be liable for a cop-pay every time you visit your doctor. 

Depending on those 3 figures, your liability in case of a C/Section may be higher. If you have a low deductible and/or out of pocket, you should not see a difference. Only the insurance payments to the various providers will be higher. 

If your liability is high, consider you will owe the full sum of these figures in case of a C/section. In case of a regular delivery, you might not. 

Also, your doctor will need to get an authorization to schedule a C/section, explaining the medical necessity (twins, serious underlining condition etc). If not, unless the C/section is due to an emergency, your insurance may reduce their payments, or even deny it as "not medically necessary". 

The best option is to contact your insurance customer service rep and ask about your yearly liability. Your physician should provide you with an estimate of costs. 

If you are a cash patient, now is the time to shop around and negotiate. Do not agree to any service without a written estimate and make sure you ask several providers and facilities for their best offer. 

Martine Brousse
Answer added by Martine Brousse | 230 views
3 out of 3 found this helpful

The first thing I would recommend is to make a payment, however small, to show good faith and prevent

more »

The first thing I would recommend is to make a payment, however small, to show good faith and prevent collection action. 

Send your payment with a note you are working on a solution and asking for a billing manager to contact you regarding filing for "charity" through the hospital charity fund. While you wait for a response, your account should be marked as "pending" and not be sent to collection.

Good luck!

Martine Brousse
Answer added by Martine Brousse | 1408 views
5 out of 7 found this helpful

If you can enroll back at any time into a MediGap or secondary plan should the worst happen, then  saving

more »

If you can enroll back at any time into a MediGap or secondary plan should the worst happen, then  saving that premium money might be a good idea. 

Do you have a HSA plan you could contribute to? 

If you choose to continue your enrollment, remember premiums may be deductible on your tax return as a medical expense. 

Martine Brousse
Answer added by Martine Brousse | 823 views
3 out of 4 found this helpful

Here are 3 additional approaches: 1. If the provider billing you now is contracted with the insurance,

more »
Here are 3 additional approaches:

1. If the provider billing you now is contracted with the insurance, they cannot bill you unless the insurance EOB shows they can. Most provider contracts with insurances prohibit billing the patient for untimely claims. Check the EOB, and call the insurance to report improper billing if this is the case.
The insurance will contact the provider and order them to stop billing you. If this is unsuccessful, after 30 days the insurance can start more aggressive action leading to a potential contract termination.

2. Ask for a copy of the "registration form" from the facility (you might be able to download it from the online patient portal). This document is what all related providers use to bill patients. This is not what you may filled out, but the print out from your hospital chart. If the correct insurance is listed, file a complaint with the ER group's managing physician or manager, showing the proof that the info was available in a timely manner. I would threaten them with filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission if they refuse to write off the balance.

3. If the form is blank, or incorrect, file an appeal with the insurance. You would need to certify that you gave the correct insurance info on a specific date, that you are asking the insurance to pay the charges, and that the office was given incorrect info from the facility, hence the delay. Add a copy of the incorrect registration form and of the EOB from the incorrectly billed insurance to establish a timeline and show it was not their fault. I just won one of those for a client.
The provider may not go through this trouble, but writing a letter is worth saving that kind of money. The insurance website or phone representative can direct you to the appeal form and mailing address.

Wishing you success,

Martine Brousse


Results per page:

Let's get started.
It's free!


Already have an account?

Add Video


Add Video


Please wait while your file is being uploaded.

Add Video

How to Save for a Mortgage

Video Uploaded

Add Another I'm Done

Preview Video