I can't make my child support payments. What are my options?

I got behind on my child support payments, and the judge ruled that I owed substantial interest on them until they're paid (doubling the payments). Is there any financial recourse available to me? I can't afford to pay the full amount.

Posted December 1, 2013 · 296 views · people have this question too


  • 0 out of 0 people found this answer helpful

    CFP® Carefree, AZ

    I would highly advise you contact the court that imposed the payments and work something out.  If you don't pay your child support payments most states will issue a warrant for your arrest; the amount of the bail required to get out of jail will be the amount the past due child support payment.  I wouldn't think a bail bondsman would issue a bond to get you out of jail as 100% of that bond payment goes to your ex, it doesn't go to the court.

    Was this a helpful answer?

    Advisors offer free consultations to determine if you're a good fit for one another. Providing more information in the consultation request will help advisors have a better sense of what you're looking for. The advisor will contact you via email and set up a time to meet. Depending on the advisor, and your preferences, this could be an in-person or online meeting. You are under no obligation to engage them after meeting with them.
    • Embed ›

Let's get started.
It's free!


Already have an account?

Add Video


Add Video


Please wait while your file is being uploaded.

Add Video

How to Save for a Mortgage

Video Uploaded

Add Another I'm Done

Preview Video