When millennials pack their bags and head out for fun, they mean business. High-energy destinations with great nightlife, world-class dining, youthful mirth-making and, of course, great values drew young travelers in droves last year, according to Priceline.
The travel site’s top 15 millennial travel destinations also prove that young travelers have a knack for finding deals. Here, based on hotel and flight bookings made at Priceline.com for the year ending July 25, 2018, are the most popular destinations for travelers age 22 to 36, followed by the average nightly hotel room price paid through the site.
1. Las Vegas: Will anyone be surprised that young travelers’ top pick last year happens to be the party capital of the world? Average daily rate: $117.
2. Orlando, Fla.: Young families head to Disney. Young adults take on extreme coasters. And who can resist a trip to Hogwarts? Average daily rate: $117.
» Learn more: Landing the best airfare is a matter of timing
3. Chicago: The Windy City, with its swoon-inducing Skydeck, high-speed water sports and nonstop concerts, famously delivers the thrills young travelers seek. Average daily rate: $162.
4. Atlanta: Zombies might get some credit for making Atlanta popular among millennials. “The Walking Dead” has shot a lot of scenes here, spurring any number of ghoulish filming location tours. Average daily rate: $133.
5. New York: The young and energetic get the most out of the city that never sleeps, with its legendary nightlife, world-famous shows and more sights than you can see in a lifetime. Average daily rate: $224.
6. St. Louis, Mo.: Live blues, legendary barbecue and some of the nation’s best museums are among the attractions travelers seek out against the backdrop of the Gateway Arch. Average daily rate: $108.
7. Charlotte, N.C.: This city has a remarkable array of whimsical activities to appeal to millennial travelers: Segway tours, an adults-only BYOB comedy bus tour and a Beyond the Grave haunted history tour. Average daily rate: $110.
8. Nashville: The Grand Ole Opry is among the biggest draws for young music lovers, but water sports, river tours and ziplining add to this city’s appeal. Average daily rate: $168.
9. Philadelphia: Philly delivers serious fun, with activities like a pub crawls, a serial killer tour and hiking in the beautiful Wissahickon Valley Park. Average daily rate: $145.
» Learn more: Why you should fly first class at least once, and how to afford it
10. Seattle: When they’ve had their fill of coffee culture and the Space Needle, Seattle visitors have easy access to Washington state’s most revered natural wonders, including Mt. Rainier and stunning Snoqualmie Falls. Average daily rate: $163.
11. Boston: The home of the Red Sox is always wicked fun, teeming with American history and diversions like a “duck” tour that floats you down the Charles River before marching you onto dry land to take in the sights. Average daily rate: $198.
12. Indianapolis: Racing fans flock to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and, while they’re in town, take in a game at Victory Field or a show at Indiana Repertory Theatre. Average daily rate: $112.
13. Portland, Ore.: So hip it hurts, Portland is a major player in the farm-to-table and food truck movements, with plenty of microbreweries to visit between meals. Average daily rate: $138.
14. Salt Lake City: The eye-popping monuments to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including Temple Square, are surrounded on all sides by outdoor adventures, like trips to Big Cottonwood Canyon and Red Butte Garden. Average daily rate: $106.
15. Baltimore: With activities like indoor skydiving and tours of wineries, breweries and the Sagamore Spirit Distillery, is it any wonder millennials love Baltimore? Average daily rate: $121.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
You want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2021, including those best for:
Flexibility, point transfers and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Bonus travel rewards and high-end perks: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
Business travelers: Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice: Travel rewards bucket list: Showering on a plane Fall 2018 hotel points promotions: Which ones are worth your time? How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season