Escaping AMT in the year of stock option exercise?
As always carefully read Lyman's answer. I would add that you can put aside the tax question and choose to do a cashless exercise (selling enough stock upon exercise to cover cost of stock plus tax liability-usually about 65% of the option allocation) and take your chances on the remaining 35% understanding if the stock is a home run you will participate only partially. In addition if you have more than one grant you can mange exercise around the rest of your finances. Think incrementally as in you do not have to do ...
For those who don't already know, the alternative minimum tax (AMT) is a parallel tax system, and involves calculating income taxes with the inclusion of certain types of income that would not be included in the “normal” tax calculation, and the exclusion of certain types of itemized deductions that would normally be included in the “normal” tax calculation. These are called “preference” items.
This is where exercising stock options can become a difficulty for people who may be subject to AMT. The bargain element (the difference...
- Can my sister claim my son on her taxes since she helps support him?
- i am receiving a small settlement and want to be sure that I set aside enough for taxes, but I can't find the tax rate for my type...
- Can I claim any type of tax benefit from letting my mother live in a home that I own and pay for?
- For tax purposes, how will a lump sum from an inherited annuity in a Roth IRA be treated?
- How should I plan for tax time with the types of income I receive?