I can't make my child support payments. What are my options?

December 1, 2013
I got behind on my child support payments, and the judge ruled that I owed substantial interest on them until they're paid (doubling the payments). Is there any financial recourse available to me? I can't afford to pay the full amount.

Advisor answers

I would highly advise you contact the court that imposed the payments and work something out. If you don't pay your child support payments most states will issue a warrant for your arrest; the amount of the bail required to get out of jail will be the amount the past due child support payment. I wouldn't think a bail bondsman would issue a bond to get you out of jail as 100% of that bond payment goes to your ex, it doesn't go to the court.

  • Contact advisor