What are the pros and cons of ETFs vs mutual funds? How should I think about researching these instruments?
As with all investment products, there are pros and cons to using ETFs. Here is my take:
The pros of ETFs:ETFs generally employ an objective, systematic investment strategy that allows an investor to track an underlying benchmark.
ETFs typically have low management fees. For broad index ETFs, fees and expenses are generally less than 50bps.
ETFs require no minimum holding period. Some mutual funds impose fees on investors who hold fund investments for less than a designated time period, such as 60 or 90 da...
James and Lyman do an excellent job of outlining the advantages and possible disadvantages of ETFs. Please read both responses. Some additional points:
1. Custodial broker dealers are now offering transaction free ETFs. TD Ameritrade our custodian offers about 100 ETF that trade with no transaction fee. Generally the transaction free trades need to be held for a period of time to remain transaction free when sold. This is done to discourage day trading with these ETFs. These no transaction fee ...
Before I answer the question, in the interest of full disclosure, Index Strategy Advisors is a Registered Investment Advisory firm that specializes in the design and management of Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) portfolios. Our pure index strategies provide opportunistic tactical investing by identifying asset classes where relative over- and under-valuation exist, with tactical sector investments that are expected to outperform over longer periods of time. Our active approach to risk management is based on a quantitative process that cont...
- I have $3,000 to invest into something that makes more money. What should I do?
- I was recently laid off. Where can I start investing for the future?
- I have an extra $100-$200 per week to invest. What should I invest in?
- What online brokers do you recommend for trading on foreign exchanges from the US?
- Are annuities good investment options?