Next time you stock up on groceries, you may want to pay with your Chase Freedom®.
Chase just announced this card’s 5% bonus categories for the second quarter of 2018, including its much-beloved grocery store category. For home chefs and folks with families, this quarter will be a breeze to maximize. The versatility of the other categories — purchases made through PayPal and Chase Pay — are also potentially lucrative.
Here are all the categories you can earn 5% cash back in during Q2 of 2018, which lasts from April through June:
- Grocery stores
- PayPal, for online, mobile or in-app purchases
- Chase Pay, for online, mobile or in-app purchases
When you use your card to cover transactions in these categories, you’ll earn 5% back on the first $1,500 spent in combined purchases each quarter, and an unlimited 1% on all other purchases. After hitting those spending caps, you’ll earn 1% per dollar spent on everything. Chase confirms that you can’t combine these categories for more rewards. For example, if you used Chase Pay at a grocery store, you’d still earn only 5% cash back.
These bonus categories also help Chase. The promotion nudges you to use your Chase Freedom® as a default payment through PayPal and Chase Pay, which could push you to spend more at these outlets even after this quarter.
Here’s how to make the most of this quarter’s bonus categories:
- Find out what’s classified as a grocery store. Check the Visa supplier locator tool to see how stores near you are classified. Chase notes that online food delivery services also are classified this way. Keep in mind that large big-box stores, such as Walmart and Target, usually don’t count as grocery stores.
- Avoid fees on PayPal. Not all PayPal transactions are free. You have to pay 2.9% of the amount sent plus 30 cents when sending money to someone with a credit card, if you’re not making a purchase through a merchant. That would eat into your rewards.
- Download the Chase Pay app. You’ll be able to pay with Chase Pay when shopping with these merchants.
To qualify for these bonus rewards, be sure to opt in to Chase’s bonus category calendar on your online credit card portal. If you miss the boat, you can still earn bonus rewards in these categories retroactively by opting in before June 14.