This offer is no longer available
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is offering its biggest publicly available bonus yet for new cardholders. Eligible new cardholders can earn up to 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards® points — worth as much as $1,000 when redeemed for travel through the Chase portal.
This bonus offer is available only through Chase, not through credit card comparison sites, including NerdWallet. The offer has two parts. Eligible new applicants who are approved for the offer can earn:
- 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. That’s the same as the standard bonus on this card.
- 30,000 additional bonus points based on total spending within the first year of account opening. The amount you must spend varies depending on the offer you’re presented with on the Chase site. In some cases, it’s $20,000; in others, it’s $30,000.
Chase confirms that this is not a targeted offer, but it is a limited-time offer. It also notes that there are only the two variations of this offer. Not all applicants may be eligible. If you already have another Chase Sapphire card, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, you won’t be eligible for this offer.
If you can meet the spending requirements, this offer is about as good as it currently gets for a travel credit card. The Nerds consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card to be one of the best travel cards for its combination of flexible travel rewards and low cost of ownership. Highlights of the card:
- 2 points per $1 spent on dining and travel and 1 point per dollar on everything else
- Annual fee of $95
- Points worth 25% more when you use them to book travel through the Chase portal, or you can transfer them at a 1:1 rate to several other loyalty programs
- Premium travel protections, including primary rental car insurance and trip cancellation insurance
Of course, a rewards credit card is worth getting only if you can pay your bill in full and on time every month; otherwise, interest charges eat away at the value of any rewards you earn. But if you’ve been on the fence about applying for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, this could be the “get it now or regret it later” chance you’ve been waiting for.
For more information about the card, see our review of the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.