Travelers who favor United Airlines or the hotel brands of IHG are getting a good reason to apply for one of their credit cards.
Chase, which issues cards in partnership with both companies, is rolling out these limited-time offers, effective Jan. 23, 2020:
- United℠ Explorer Card: Earn 60,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months of account opening.
- IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card: Earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months of account opening.
The 60,000-mile offer on the United℠ Explorer Card is a bit smaller than the 65,000-mile offer than preceded it, but it requires less spending to snag the full bonus.
The previous offer came in two stages: 40,000 bonus miles after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months, plus 25,000 bonus miles after spending $10,000 total in the first 6 months.
As of January 2020, NerdWallet values United miles at 0.8 cent apiece on average, making a 60,000-point bonus worth $480. Depending on how you redeem, you could realize even more value.
The United℠ Explorer Card has an annual fee of $0 intro for the first year, then $95. Its benefits include:
- 2 miles per dollar spent on purchases from United.
- 2 miles per dollar on restaurant purchases and hotel accommodations purchased directly with the hotel.
- 1 mile per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- First checked bag free for you and a companion on your reservation.
- Priority boarding.
- Two one-time passes to United Club airport lounges each year.
- Statement credit of up to $100 once every five years for the application fee for TSA Precheck or Global Entry.
The limited-time bonus on the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is 75% bigger than the usual 80,000-point bonus (although you have to spend $1,000 more to earn it).
As of January 2020, NerdWallet values IHG points at 0.8 cent apiece on average, making a 140,000-point bonus worth $1,120. Depending on how you redeem, you could realize even more value. IHG brands include Holiday Inn, InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Kimpton, EVEN and Indigo.
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card has an annual fee of $89. Its benefits include:
- 25 total points per dollar spent at IHG hotels (including points from the card, points from loyalty program membership and points from the elite status you get automatically with the card).
- 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants.
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases.
- A free night after each account anniversary.
- Statement credit of up to $100 once every four years for the application fee for TSA Precheck or Global Entry.