If you’re planning to apply for a mortgage through Chase, now could be a good time to do it.
Through Aug. 31, 2018, you can get up to 75,000 points if you have an eligible card and also take out a Chase mortgage. That’s a welcome boost for folks who were already hoping to buy a home through Chase. A caveat, though: This is only a good offer if you can also qualify for a low rate. Even a generous bonus isn’t worth forgoing a slightly lower mortgage rate, which can save you tens of thousands of dollars over time.
Chase confirmed to NerdWallet that these are the offers available for qualifying cardholders who submit a mortgage application directly to Chase before Aug. 31:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®: 75,000 Ultimate Rewards® points, worth $1,125 when redeemed for travel through Chase
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card: 50,000 Ultimate Rewards® points, worth $625 when redeemed for travel through Chase
- Chase Sapphire: 25,000 Ultimate Rewards® points, worth $250 when redeemed for travel through Chase
- Chase Freedom®: 25,000 Ultimate Rewards® points, worth $250 when redeemed for cash back
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®: 25,000 Ultimate Rewards® points, worth $250 when redeemed for cash back
- United MileagePlus® Explorer Card: 50,000 miles, worth $500 when redeemed for flights, according to NerdWallet valuations
- United MileagePlus® Club Card: 75,000 miles, worth $750 when redeemed for flights, according to NerdWallet valuations
You don’t have to qualify for a Chase mortgage through any specific landing page to get these offers, the issuer confirms, as long as you apply directly through Chase. You’ll get the rewards within 10 weeks of your mortgage closing, as long as you still have a card that’s eligible for this offer.
This offer is similar to the 100,000-point bonus offer Chase gave to qualifying mortgage applicants last year. The main differences: This year, the bonuses are smaller but available to more Chase cardholders.
As of this writing, the average annual percentage rate on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage was 4.57%, according to NerdWallet’s mortgage index (current rates here); current rates for Chase mortgages can be found here.
Information related to the Chase Sapphire and the United MileagePlus® Club Card has been collected by NerdWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of these cards.