Ensuring your lawyer is LGBT-friendly could make all the difference when navigating federal laws — you want to work with a professional whom you feel comfortable with, particularly when dealing with the emotionally charged issues that surround end-of-life planning.
There are a number of resources provided by LGBT legal rights organizations.
- The National Center for Lesbian Rights offers help locating attorneys in your area through.
- Lambda Legal offers legal information and resources via their Help Desk.
- The National LGBT Bar Association provides a list of local affiliates who have member directories.
Questions to ask
Even if you do use the resources above, it is important to do your own diligence. Meet a number of attorneys so you can get a sense of personal style and content mastery.
Some questions to consider asking:
- Have you worked with same-sex couples before? How many?
- Can you walk me through the specific challenges for same-sex estate planning in this state?
- What is the timeline for having my documents drafted?
- What is the cost of having these documents drafted?
Updated July 6, 2015.