You like to drive, have some spare time and need to make some extra cash. Amazon is looking for people like you.
Here’s a rundown of how to get started as an Amazon Flex driver.
- It’s easy to sign up. All you need is a car and a smartphone.
- You’re paid between $18 and $25 per hour.
- You can cash out often. Billing cycles occur twice a week.
- Get ready to work, as you can be responsible for up to 30 or more packages per block.
What is Amazon Flex?
Amazon Flex is a courier service from the e-commerce behemoth Amazon. Drivers for Amazon Flex deliver for Amazon.com, Amazon Fresh and Prime Now. So you could spend a shift delivering dinner, groceries or gifts.
To drive for Amazon Flex, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have a valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Have a qualifying vehicle (more on that below).
Where you can work
Amazon Flex operates nationwide, but hires new drivers based on need in a specific area.
Check the website to find out where Amazon Flex is hiring. If your city isn’t available, you can add yourself to a mailing list to be alerted when opportunities arise.
What you need
No matter which Amazon service you drive for, each has the same basic set of requirements, with a few variations:
- Car: For Amazon.com deliveries, you’ll need at least a four-door midsize sedan. The bigger the car, the better; SUVs and minivans can take more packages, which could mean more cash for you. For Prime Now and Amazon Fresh, any reliable car is fine. No matter the car or type of delivery, you need to be in possession of the car’s registration and insurance info and have your license on you at all times.
- Smartphone: An iPhone 5S or newer with iOS 11 or higher will do, as will an Android 6 or above with GPS and a camera for scanning bar codes. Most parts of the job require you to use the Amazon Flex app.
- Background checks: When you get started on the app, you’ll be asked a series of identity-related questions to assist with the process. Checks into your driving history and any criminal record take two to five business days to complete.
Amazon provides you with commercial insurance while you’re on the job but won’t reimburse you for mileage, tolls, parking or other expenses. That coverage does not apply for drivers in New York, who may need to purchase additional insurance to comply with state law.
How to register
You can get started from the comfort of your computer and phone.
- Answer eligibility questions on the Flex website. You share your location, whether you’re 21 or older and a licensed driver, if your car fits the requirements and what kind of phone you’re planning to use.
- Download the app. Amazon Flex will provide you a link after you complete the questionnaire.
- Complete forms in the app. Fill out your availability and your banking information for direct deposit.
Once everything is squared away, you can start scheduling.
Sign up for deliveries
Scheduling and completing deliveries for Amazon Flex mostly takes place on the app.
Delivery blocks, which are shifts that are typically three to six hours long, can be picked up in two ways:
- Claim shifts offered to you by the app. Once you fill in your availability, you’ll periodically be sent options that fit your hours. Go to Calendar in the app to access shifts. These opportunities expire, so pick them up as quickly as you can.
- Score hours on short notice. You can find same-day opportunities in a section of the app labeled Check Available Blocks. These appear on a rolling basis up to 24 hours before the shift begins and are first-come, first-served. Sometimes blocks at busier hours of the day are up for grabs, and these high-traffic hours can pay more.
Delivery shift details
The Flex app sends out a notification one hour before your block starts. At that point, you see the pickup location for your items, where you’ll deliver them and the general size of your workload.
When you arrive at the pickup location, you check in and your block time starts. Packing your car counts as part of your shift. You are responsible for scanning the QR code or bar code of all your items before you load them up.
For Amazon Fresh, you may want to have a hand truck because some packages may weigh 50 pounds or more.
The number of packages you’re expected to handle varies. With a large enough car, you could deliver up to 70 packages.
With a large enough car, you could deliver up to 70 packages.
The app will create a route for you. This is just a suggestion; if you know your way around town, it may be better for you to use your best judgment about navigation.
When you arrive at a location to deliver a package, check in on your app. Then verify that you’re at the right address and check if the customer has given any special instructions.
Scan the bar code on the package to record that you completed the delivery. You’ll need to repeat this process for each item.
Sometimes, you may not be able to deliver all of your packages in the amount of time allotted. This could be due to any number of reasons, including traffic, restaurant backup or inability to leave packages at an apartment building. Deliver all the packages you can, and contact Amazon Flex support about what caused the delay. You won’t get paid for the extra time it takes to deliver the rest of your shipment. Packages you can’t deliver should be returned to the pickup location.
Amazon Flex’s website states that you can make between $18 and $25 per hour during your blocks. Where you fall on that scale depends on a number of factors.
You can make closer to $25 per hour by using a larger car, which makes you eligible to deliver more packages. Another option is to claim blocks during busy times, which are marked in the app, or to deliver for Prime Now and Amazon Fresh, which allow customers to give you tips.
You can make between $18 and $25 per hour during your blocks.
Drivers get paid twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. If you delivered for Amazon Restaurants or Prime Now, you’ll get paid after your tips are processed, which generally takes one to two days after delivery. Payments are delivered via direct deposit.
Because working for Amazon Flex makes you an independent contractor, you’ll be responsible for withholding money for your taxes. You may also need to file quarterly taxes.