- Had more than the median number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance in 2018, relative to its size.
- Parent company has an A+ (Strong) financial strength rating from Fitch Ratings.
- Small insurer with online focus available in six states.
Elephant Insurance is a small company, currently available in six states: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. Founded in 2009, Elephant only writes auto insurance policies. However, it sells other types of insurance, such as homeowners and renters, from other companies and offers a bundling discount in some states. Elephant sells policies directly to consumers, so the company is best for people who prefer an all-online experience.
Compare auto insurance policies instantlyPlease enter a valid zip code
Elephant Insurance review details
Elephant auto insurance coverage options
Elephant offers typical optional car insurance coverage types, including comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance and rental reimbursement coverage. It also offers:
- Legal assistance coverage: For as little as $5 per month, policyholders can add this coverage, which pays for legal fees associated with traffic charges, estate planning, family law and more.
- Diminishing deductible is an extra option only available if you have collision coverage, and it must be purchased with the initial policy or at renewal — not mid-contract. When you sign up, Elephant takes $100 off your collision deductible immediately and another $100 each year you’re accident-free afterward, up to $500. Should you have a wreck, the collision deductible won’t reset — it’ll stay the same for a year and then continue to decrease as you stay accident-free.
Elephant’s auto insurance discounts
Discounts from Elephant, just like any other company, vary by location and coverage type. You can get a maximum of 40% off your premium with any combination of Elephant’s discounts, including:
- Multi-car discount — up to 40%.
- Safety features discount.
- Online quote discount — 15%.
- Discount for owning a home.
- Multi-policy (bundling) discount — up to 9%.
- Responsible driver discount — up to 10%.
- Paid in full discount — up to 13.5%.
- Good student discount — up to 12%.
Other insurance from Elephant
Elephant writes its own auto insurance policies, but in-house agents can get you other types of policies, too, including:
- Renters insurance.
- Home insurance.
- Life insurance.
- Motorcycle insurance.
More about Elephant Insurance
Customer service and ratings: Elephant Insurance is a baby by market standards — some larger companies have been around 100 years or more. Being new to the market means the customer service ratings we normally consult aren’t available for Elephant, nor are financial strength ratings from A.M. Best.
However, we can tell you that Elephant Insurance:
- Had more complaints to state regulators than the median in 2018, relative to its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Has a “Strong” (A+) financial rating from Fitch, a company that evaluates financial strength in the United Kingdom, where Elephant’s parent company Admiral Group is headquartered. This rating indicates the company has a strong ability to pay claims, according to Fitch.
Website: Elephant’s website has all the normal features you’d expect, and a rep for the company says its website is mobile-friendly and most customers use the website on their phones. You can pay bills, request ID cards, get a quote, file a claim, upload claim photos and more.
Elephant currently does not have a mobile app.