Progressive home insurance policies come from third parties. If you have a Progressive car insurance policy, you may qualify for an auto discount by buying homeowners insurance from one of the company’s affiliates. Otherwise you may be better off buying homeowners insurance directly.
Progressive home insurance pros and cons
|Auto discount available for Progressive auto insurance customers.||Doesn't underwrite its own policies.|
|Can choose which insurance company you purchase from — uncommon for an insurer selling affiliate policies.||Must file a claim through the company that underwrites your policy.|
About Progressive home insurance
Progressive acts as an agency and matches consumers with a home insurer through Progressive Advantage Agency. Which affiliate you purchase your policy from depends on how you purchase: online, over the phone or through an agent. Affiliates include insurance companies like National General Insurance, Nationwide and American Strategic Insurance Corp (ASI), a Progressive subsidiary.
You can get a quote and purchase a policy online, by phone or from a local agent via an agent portal. But in the end your policy will come from another company, and claims will go through your home insurer, not Progressive, so you won’t have the convenience of a bundle.
Progressive home insurance state availability
Progressive can match you with a homeowners insurance company in every state except Alaska and Hawaii.
Progressive home insurance coverage
You can customize your homeowners policy with numerous add-ons, but below are the types of coverage that generally come standard:
|Type of coverage||What it does|
|Dwelling||Pays to repair or rebuild the structure of your home.|
|Other structures||Covers damage to unattached structures such as a shed or fence.|
|Personal property||Pays to repair or replace personal belongings such as furniture or clothing.|
|Additional living expenses||Pays for hotel stays, restaurant meals or other expenses if you have to live elsewhere while your home undergoes covered repairs.|
|Liability||Covers legal expenses and damages if you're responsible for injuries to other people or their property.|
|Medical payments||Covers injuries to guests in your home, regardless of fault.|
For more details, see Homeowners Insurance: What It Is and What It Covers.
Optional coverages may be available depending on your insurer and location, and could include:
- Water back-up coverage for water damage from a backed-up sump pump or sewer system.
- Personal injury coverage to pay for legal fees and damages stemming from slander, libel, wrongful evictions, false arrests, detentions or imprisonment.
- Extended replacement cost coverage to provide a 25% to 50% increase in dwelling coverage. This coverage pays to replace your house with new materials and appliances should they be destroyed in a covered claim.
- Extra valuables coverage to raise your limits for expensive items like jewelry or art.
Progressive home insurance discounts
You could save on your auto policy if you purchase a homeowners policy through Progressive and are already a car insurance customer. Depending on the insurer Progressive matches you with, you may qualify for other discounts.
Discounts could be available for:
- Homes with alarm systems and safety devices.
- Getting a quote at least 10 days in advance of the policy start date.
- Paying your premium in full.
- Receiving policy documents electronically.
- New homes.
Single deductible is available for car insurance customers who purchase a homeowners policy through ASI. If both your car and home are damaged in the same incident, one deductible payment covers both claims.
If you hire a contractor from Progressive’s contractor network after a claim, you may get a discounted price on covered repairs.
Homeowners insurance buying guide
You can get home insurance quotes online, over the phone or through an agent. But before you start, take the following steps:
- Determine how much coverage you need. Is a standard policy sufficient, or do you want to add extra insurance for situations like identity theft or sewer backups? Check whether each company you’re considering has the options you need.
- Take inventory. To ensure you have sufficient personal property coverage, take stock of your belongings. Include all furniture, electronic devices, clothing, jewelry and household items. How much would it cost you to replace them? This total is the minimum amount of personal property insurance you should have.
- Make a fair comparison. When evaluating rates, make sure each insurer is offering the same limits and deductibles.
- Check consumer complaints. Although it may seem tempting simply to choose the cheapest option, look at how many consumer complaints each insurer has before choosing a policy. Poor customer service could have a significant impact on your experience if you ever need to file a claim.
More about Progressive
Website: Progressive’s website offers the ability to get a quote and purchase a homeowners policy through Progressive’s HomeQuote Explorer tool. The site also has a robust answers page dedicated to educational articles and FAQs.
Other types of insurance from Progressive:
|Auto insurance||All-terrain-vehicle insurance|
|Boat insurance||Classic car insurance|
|Golf cart insurance||Motorcycle insurance|
|Personal watercraft insurance||RV insurance|
|Segway insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
|Commercial auto insurance|
Progressive home insurance FAQ
Does Progressive offer mobile home insurance?
As with homeowners insurance, Progressive’s mobile home insurance is available through third parties. Depending on which insurer you end up with, you may be able to add trip collision coverage, which pays out if your mobile home is damaged while in transit. Learn more about manufactured and mobile home insurance.
Does Progressive home insurance cover water damage?
It depends on how the damage happened. Say a pipe bursts and ruins your carpet and drywall; that would be covered because it was a sudden accident that took place within your house. But if the damage comes from a slow leak that you haven’t gotten around to fixing, that wouldn’t be covered. Nor would flooding from an external source, such as a river overflowing its banks. For that, you’ll need separate flood insurance.
Depending on which third-party insurer Progressive matches you up with, you may be able to add water backup coverage, which pays out if your sump pump fails or a sewer line clogs.
Who does Progressive use for homeowners insurance?
Progressive Advantage Agency works with about a dozen different companies to provide various types of home insurance. These include Nationwide, Homesite and National General.