For home buyers with strong credit, solid income and at least a 3% down payment, a conventional mortgage may be the perfect fit. But which lender should you choose?
NerdWallet has picked some of the best conventional mortgage lenders in a variety of categories so you can quickly decide which one is right for you.
» MORE: Conventional mortgage FAQs
Best conventional mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders offer conventional loans with low down payments and flexible credit requirements.
- The largest FHA lender in the nation.
- Has a full complement of mortgage products for buying and refinancing.
- Offers a technology-friendly loan process with access to mortgage advisors.
- Quicken Loans review
- Offers a full line of purchase mortgages, including FHA and VA loans.
- Has low-down payment-options that don’t require private mortgage insurance.
- Available in all 50 states.
- CitiMortgage review
Best conventional mortgage lenders for a refinance
You’ll have multiple options for refinancing into a conventional loan with these lenders.
- Offers refinance mortgages with no origination fees or broker commissions.
- Minimum 620 credit score qualification.
- Automated suggestion engine will determine if there are steps you can take to lower your rate.
- Reali Loans review
- Offers customers a variety of refinance options.
- Provides fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA, VA and Home Affordable Refinance Program loans.
- You can apply online, in a branch or by phone.
- Chase Mortgage review
Best online conventional mortgage lenders
Enjoy a fast, convenient and fully automated mortgage process with these lenders.
- The biggest online mortgage lender in the U.S.
- Fully automated process that imports employment and income data, credit scores, property information and more.
- Provides a loan decision in minutes.
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Has hundreds of high marks and positive reviews on sites such as the Better Business Bureau and Yelp.
- Boasts a more than 95% customer satisfaction rate.
- Provides a completely digital mortgage platform for both refinance and purchase customers.
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best conventional mortgage lenders for borrowers with weak credit
These lenders specialize in loans for those with low credit scores or nontraditional credit histories.
- Uses manual underwriting to evaluate borrowers, which allows more flexibility to approve loans.
- Offers a broad range of loans, including FHA, fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages; minimum score 580.
- Offers multiple down payment assistance and grant programs.
- New American Funding review
- Specializes in loans to borrowers with lower credit scores; minimum score 500 in some cases.
- Considers alternative credit data, like bank statements and rent payments.
- Free rate locks.
- Vylla review
Best conventional mortgage lenders for face-to-face service
Want a human to answer questions and provide updates? Try these lenders.
- One of the largest banks in the world with thousands of branches across the U.S.
- Offers a range of products, including fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA and VA loans.
- Create an account to upload documents, download loan disclosures, e-sign and more.
- Bank of America review
- Offers full line of purchase mortgages, including FHA and VA loans.
- Has low-down-payment options that don’t require private mortgage insurance.
- Has nearly 700 branches across all 50 states.
- CitiMortgage review
Best conventional mortgage lenders: summary
- Quicken Loans: First-time home buyers
- CitiMortgage: First-time home buyers
- Reali Loans: Refinancing
- Chase: Refinancing
- Rocket Mortgage: Online experience
- Guaranteed Rate: Online experience
- New American Funding: Lower credit score
- Vylla: Lower credit score
- Bank of America: Face-to-face service
- CitiMortgage: Face-to-face service
Conventional mortgage FAQs
» MORE: Get your credit score for free
» MORE: FHA vs. conventional home loans