If you’re looking to buy a house in Ohio or refinance your existing mortgage, this is an excellent place to start. Finding a lender that best suits your situation can save you time — and possibly money.
After reviewing the state’s leading home lenders and matching them to the different needs of Ohio residents, we’ve compiled this short list of the Buckeye State’s best.
National and regional lenders in Ohio
These national and regional companies are among Ohio’s top lenders. We’ve selected some of the strongest in five categories.
Best Ohio mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders have popular mortgage products particularly suited for first-time home buyers in Ohio.
- Serves Ohio’s large veteran population — the sixth-largest in the nation
- First-time buyers with a qualified military connection may be eligible for no-down-payment VA loans
- Highly rated for customer service, according to J.D. Power
- USAA Mortgage Loans review
- Offers FHA, VA and USDA loans — appealing options for first-time buyers
- Mobile app speeds the application and closing process
- Provides 24/7 access to a loan administration portal for quick application updates
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best Ohio mortgage lenders for tapping home equity
Now that you have a little value built up in your home, these lenders can help you access it by offering a variety of home equity products.
- Offers home equity loans and home equity lines of credit
- Existing U.S. Bank customers may qualify for a discount on closing fees
- Doesn’t charge an origination or application fee
- U.S. Bank mortgage review
- Offers a HELOC for larger expenses with a minimum line of $10,000
- Getting a home equity loan allows you to borrow a specific amount, as low as $1,000, with a fixed interest rate
- A “Rapid Refinance” option allows you to access your home’s equity with a refi that features a simplified application process
- PNC Mortgage review
Best Ohio mortgage lenders for refinancing
If it’s time for a cash-out refi, or you’re just looking to improve your existing mortgage, these are among the highest-rated refinance lenders in Ohio.
- Has a completely online application process
- Home loan experts are available to answer your questions online or by phone
- Refinances government loans, such as FHA, VA and USDA
- Quicken Loans review
- Among the highest-ranking lenders in customer service, according to J.D. Power
- Local offices across Ohio for face-to-face service
- Upload documents and track the progress of your loan online
- PrimeLending review
Best online mortgage lenders in Ohio
If you’re looking for online convenience and 24/7 access to your loan application, these are the high-tech leaders among Ohio lenders.
- Online preapproval takes just a few minutes
- Offers a mobile-friendly application process for on-the-go Ohioans
- Income, employment and even property information are often pre-populated or downloaded automatically
- Rocket Mortgage review
- One of the few nonbank lenders to offer a home equity loan
- Refinance once and never pay lender fees again on subsequent refis
- Offers online access to all government-backed loans, including VA, FHA and USDA
- LoanDepot review
Best traditional bank mortgage lenders in Ohio
Traditional banks offer services that span multiple stages of life. These financial institutions are among the home loan leaders in Ohio.
- Provides the full line of loan products you would expect from a megabank
- Offers a 3% down payment option for borrowers with a credit score of 680 or better
- Offers electronic submission and tracking of documents
- Chase Mortgage review
Local Ohio mortgage lenders
It’s smart to get at least three quotes when shopping mortgage lenders. These local lenders are among those with the highest volume of mortgage sales in Ohio. They have not been reviewed by NerdWallet.
- 7 Ohio branches in Columbus and on the U.S. 23 corridor.
- Jumbo purchase and refinance, and cash-out refinance.
- Renovation loans allow $5,000 to $250,000 for repairs.
- Offers FHA, USDA, VA and conventional loans, and home equity loans and HELOCs.
- Adjustable-rate mortgages offered, and fixed-rate terms ranging from eight to 30 years.
- Helps with state down payment assistance bond programs.
- Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio.
- Fixed-rate and 1/1 and 3/1 adjustable-rate mortgages.
- FHA, VA, conventional and jumbo financing.
- Products include balloon loans, home equity borrowing, construction, blanket (for development) and lot loans.
- Headquarters in Cincinnati with 28 Ohio offices.
- Low down payment option if your income is at or below the local median and for homes in underserved areas.
- Physicians and dentists may qualify for no down payment and no mortgage insurance.
- Has FHA, VA, conventional and jumbo purchase, refinance and construction loans.
- Offers home equity loans and credit lines.
- Does not sell its mortgages to other mortgage companies but keeps and services them.
- Loan officers do not work on commission.
- Will beat a lower mortgage rate offer or pay you $1,000.
- No private mortgage insurance required with a 15% down payment.
- Offers a no-cost 60-day rate lock with a free optional “float down” if rates fall.
- Home equity products include a 5/1 ARM, fixed-rate loans and a HELOC.
- Bridge loans available.
- Headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio.
Best Ohio mortgage lenders: summary
- USAA: Best for first-time home buyers
- Fairway: Best for first-time home buyers
- U.S. Bank: Best for home equity
- PNC Mortgage: Best for home equity
- Quicken Loans: Best for refinancing
- PrimeLending: Best for refinancing
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- LoanDepot: Best for online experience
- Chase: Best traditional bank
- PNC Mortgage: Best traditional bank
- Huntington Bank: Top local lender
- Union Savings Bank: Top local lender
- Fifth Third Bank: Top local lender
- Third Federal Savings and Loan: Top local lender