It may be only October, but shoppers are already gearing up for Black Friday. If you’re looking to ready yourself for the most anticipated shopping event of the year, you may be surprised to know that one of your best tools for finding a great deal is right in the palm of your hand.
Besides preparing yourself – and your wallet – for Black Friday sales, you’ll want to prepare your smartphone, too. Here are some helpful free apps that can save you time and money on your seasonal shopping outing. The following apps are compatible with Apple iOS and Android devices.
Apps That Compare
Black Friday is all about finding the best possible deal. What better way to do that than by comparing product prices across stores? Let these apps do the legwork so you don’t have to:
- Black Friday FatWallet – The companion Black Friday app to the website FatWallet lets you peruse more than 100 ads from well-known retailers. Plus, the app permits browsing for deals via a number of filters, including by store, category, brand, price or doorbusters.
- TGI Black Friday – TGI Black Friday is a highly rated Black Friday comparison app. With it, you can count down the days until Black Friday, download PDF ad scans, compare deals and receive notifications when new ads are posted. If you want to brag about your super savings, you can share deals via Facebook, Twitter or email.
- ShopSavvy – While not specifically designed for Black Friday, ShopSavvy helps you determine which retailer lists your favorite product for the least expensive price. Simply scan a bar code or QR code. Also useful is the app’s product price alert feature.
Apps With Coupons
Here are some apps that will save you the hassle of clipping coupons:
- RetailMeNot – RetailMeNot’s app promises to put “thousands of coupons in your pocket.” You can search for coupons of your choice or take a look at the popular ongoing deals. Plus, with the automatic alerts feature, you can even get notified of deals going on at stores near you.
- Coupon Sherpa – The Coupon Sherpa app eliminates the need to thumb through ads or print coupons. You can search for coupons via store, product or your GPS location. Once you find one you like, show the in-store coupon to your cashier for immediate mobile scanning.
- GeoQpons – For searching in-store and online coupons, consider GeoQpons. In addition to coupons, the app includes information about clearance sales and loyalty cards from major retailers. Additional useful features: coupon alerts, a bar code scanner, coupon printing support and a coupon savings calculator.
Apps for Stores
If you already know which retailers you want to visit, try searching to see if any of your favorite stores has an app. Here are some store-specific apps that may be an asset to your Black Friday shopping experience:
- Macy’s – Department store chain Macy’s gave its app a Black Friday upgrade last year, with the help of eBay. If the store continues the tradition this year, shoppers will be able to browse Black Friday specials, view store maps, create shopping lists and receive push notifications for deals.
- Walmart – Discount retail giant Walmart capitalized on the Black Friday app extravaganza last year, too. If the store’s mobile app boasts the same features this season as it did last, shoppers will be able to see store maps locating discounted products.
- Amazon – The Amazon Price Check App allows customers to see how Amazon’s prices measure up against those of competitors. Shoppers can compare prices, read product descriptions and search for product reviews. Users can locate products by typing in the name, scanning a bar code, taking a picture or simply speaking the name. This makes finding the item you’re looking for quick and convenient.
And One More App …
If those nine apps weren’t enough, here’s one more we’d recommend downloading:
- Black Friday Shopping – Black Friday Shopping is a mobile shopping assistant to help you in every step of the Black Friday process, from start to finish: View ads, pin deals and track items on your wish list.
Smartphone image via Shutterstock