While most shoppers think of Black Friday 2013 as a day of big spending, it will also be a day filled with freebies. Stores are offering free items ranging from gift cards to guns (seriously) in an attempt to get more shoppers inside. Whether you intend to use them as extra stocking stuffers or hang onto them as a treat for yourself, NerdWallet has you covered when it comes to finding the best Black Friday freebies. Find out below where you can score free gift cards, pet stockings, tote bags and more.
Free gift cards
Gift cards are the go-to giveaway item on Black Friday. Many stores, including Shoe Carnival and Ashley Furniture HomeStore, are giving away cash in the form of plastic cards. Take a look at some of this year’s best free gift card offers:
- Ashley Furniture HomeStore: The popular furniture store is offering a $50 gift card to its first 25 customers. This promotion will take place for not one day, not two days, but over the course of four days! The first 25 customers each day from Friday (November 29th) to Monday (December 2nd) will get a free $50 gift card.
- Shoe Carnival: Shoppers seeking shoes (and free gift cards) come Black Friday will want to hustle over to Shoe Carnival. The store is giving away “Holiday Surprise Reward Cards” worth at least $10 to the first 100 customers. Since more is always better, one of the cards will be worth $100!
- Half Price Books: If you count yourself as one of the dwindling awesome few who still read physical books, then Half Price Books is where you’ll want to be to score your Black Friday freebies. Both a tote bag and a $5 gift card will be given to the first 100 shoppers when the store opens at 7 am. What’s more, one tote bag will contain a gift card worth $100. Reading really does pay off!
All things sports-related
When it comes to Black Friday, many people immediately think of department stores and electronics chains. However, America’s top shopping day is also a great time to get awesome deals on outdoor equipment and athletic gear. Many outdoors and sporting goods stores offer tantalizing freebies in an effort to get shoppers to forget about gadgets and focus on their need for new running shoes and camping equipment.
- Sports Authority: Weekend warriors looking to score athletic apparel and equipment on the cheap will want to get in line early Thursday and Friday to take advantage of the Black Friday freebies from Sports Authority. The first 80 people in line each day have the chance to win up to $500 in bonus bucks!
- Cabela’s: If you thought a free gun on Black Friday was too good to be true, think again. Cabela’s is offering the first 600 people in line the chance to win the following: a Browning X-Bolt Medallion Rifle (valued at $799), a GoPro camera (valued at $399), a Nikon ProStaff 5 Rangefinder (valued at $249), Bushnell Trophy XLT Bone Collector Binoculars (valued at $189) and a Masterbuilt 30” meat smoker (valued at $349). Plus, Cabela’s gift cards worth up to $100 will also be given away for a total haul of $8,700 worth of freebies per store.
If free pet stockings and snow globes aren’t proof that Black Friday offers freebies for everyone, then what is?
- PetsSmart: Animal lovers will want to high tail it over to PetSmart for Black Friday. The store is giving away free pet stockings filled with over $100 in coupons to the first 100 customers.
- JCPenney: Bedlam broke out when JCPenney didn’t give out free Disney snow globes to Black Friday shoppers in 2012. Okay, things weren’t that bad, but shoppers were upset enough to start a Facebook page demanding the return of the snow globes. JCP has complied and will be offering Mickey Mouse snow globes to shoppers (while supplies last) starting Friday at 4 am.
Shopping photo courtesy of Shutterstock.