NerdWallet analyzes the news and reviews of Black Friday 2014. Stay tuned if you have yet to see your preferred retail store! For year-round coupons and deals, too, check out NerdWallet’s DealFinder tool.
Big 5 Sporting Goods Black Friday 2014
Big 5 Sporting Goods just released its Black Friday ad! Check out this year’s deals in the 13-page ad scan below:
Best Big 5 Sporting Goods Black Friday Deals From 2013
American retail chain Big 5 Sporting Goods is a supplier of athletic products for a range of sports and activities. The store’s inventory includes apparel, footwear, equipment and accessories for team sports, individual sports, fishing, hunting and outdoor adventures.
In 2013, the sporting goods store debuted a 10-page Black Friday ad filled with discounts and deals. The packed pages may have looked slightly overwhelming, but among the series of numbers, bright colors and fine print were sale prices on apparel, footwear, exercise equipment and toys. Although Big 5 dubbed its promotion the Thanksgiving Super Sale, the store wasn’t open on Thanksgiving Day. Big 5 was open from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Black Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday.
Early-bird special prices were available from 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Black Friday. Among these exclusive discounts were price cuts on assorted items from a variety of product departments. Sales included:
- Bearpaw Dorado 430 Short Boots for $30 (regularly $59.99)
- Propel Trampoline with Enclosure 12-Foot for $199 (regularly $279.99)
- Propel Trampoline with Enclosure 15-Foot for $299 (regularly $369.99)
- New Balance 610v2 running shoes for $39 (regularly $74.99)
- Elite Fitness Deluxe Inversion Table for $79 (regularly $199.99)
- Wilson Jet Pro Basketball for $12 (regularly $34.99)
An enormous number of the deals were on footwear, but there were savings to be found on tennis rackets, rifles, watches, sunglasses and fitness equipment as well. Other standout promotional prices:
- Denali Incite Hiking Shoes for $19.99 (regularly $49.99)
- All Clarks Men’s Casual Shoes for $39 (regularly $84.99)
- Coleman Ratchet ST Work Boots for $29 (regularly $64.99)
- Remington 770 7mm Mag or .30-06 Bolt-Action Rifle Combo for $299.99 (regularly $459.99)
- Weslo Crosswalk 3.2T Treadmill for $299 (regularly $449.99)
- Gamo Rocket .177 Pellet Rifle Combo for $119 (regularly $249.99)
While these exact deals may not have lasted for long, there were additional opportunities to save with price reductions that lasted for three days. Savvy shoppers needed to be careful to note that the most prominently advertised prices were available for the early-bird period only. After that, the prices rose. The Bearpaw Dorado 430 Short Boots, for example, increased from $30 to $39.99. The Remington 770 7mm Mag or .30-06 Bolt-Action Rifle Combo went from $299 to $349.99.
While Big 5 Sporting Goods had a Black Friday ad that was half the size of the one put out by competitor Sports Authority, Big 5 appeared to boast just as many deals. Plus, the featured discounts were on comparable merchandise categories. When it came to reductions on athletic shoes, Big 5 seemed to come out on top, with a greater variety of on-sale brands.
If you like these athletic deals, you’ll likely also enjoy the shopping promotions at Sports Authority, Dunham’s Sports and Dick’s Sporting Goods. For a full list of 2014 Black Friday ad scans, check out NerdWallet’s Black Friday ad leaks page.