NerdWallet’s Black Friday 2014 series continues with more sneak peeks at sales from the most popular retailers. Check back regularly for updates on the best and worst deals and promotions. For year-round coupons and deals, too, check out NerdWallet’s DealFinder tool.
Sports Authority Black Friday 2014
Suit up for this year’s Black Friday bargain-hunting game: Scope out the deals at Sports Authority for Black Friday in the chain’s newly released 20-page ad scan below:
Best Sports Authority Black Friday Deals From 2013
With an online store and hundreds of retail locations across the country, Sports Authority is one of the largest sports retailers in the country. Last Black Friday, the store featured a 16-page ad with some great bargains on sports and outdoor equipment, clothing, shoes and even toys.
The retailer kicked off Black Friday sales early last year, opening its doors at 6 p.m. Thanksgiving and staying open till midnight. On Friday, stores were open from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. To entice customers, the first 80 people at each store Thursday and Friday had a chance to win up to $500 in bonus bucks.
Shoppers could also grab some great BOGO (buy one, get one) deals:
- Buy one, get one 50% off on men’s, women’s and kids’ footwear
- Buy one, get one 50% off on men’s, women’s and kids’ licensed caps
- Buy one, get one free on the entire stock of basketballs and footballs
For consumers looking to invest in exercise equipment, Sports Authority offered some excellent discounts featuring hundreds of dollars in savings:
- Freemotion 545 elliptical: $799.99 ($1,200 off)
- Pro-Form 995 C treadmill: $799.99 ($1,200 off)
- Schwinn Journey 4.5 elliptical: $749.99 ($850 off)
- Pro-Form Performance 400 treadmill: $479.99 ($720 off)
- Pro-Form Performance 300 treadmill: $379.99 ($620 off)
- Body Rider dual-action cardio-hybrid trainer: $199.99 ($400 off)
Surprisingly, the sports retailer had some great deals on toys, with a 30-50% discount on its entire stock, including trucks, dart blasters and remote-controlled helicopters. Other great finds for kids:
- Parkside 12-foot trampoline with enclosure: $169.99 (save $170)
- Ping Pong Ultra II table: $209.99 (save $290)
- Ice Time II air hockey table: $259.99 (save $240)
Shoppers looking for outdoor apparel found some great discounts on men’s, women’s and kids’ clothing:
- 40% off entire stock of men’s, women’s and kids Gerry outerwear
- 40% off entire stock of men’s and women’s Alpine Design apparel
- 40% off entire stock of men’s, women’s and kids Slalom outerwear
- 40% off on women’s New Balance active apparel
- 25% off on men’s, women’s and kids Under Armour battle hoodies
- 25% off on men’s and women’s UA cold-weather apparel
There were some great finds for less than $10, including Alpine Design fleece tops and PJ bottoms for $9.99, men’s Champion jersey tees for $4.99 and Alpine Design fleece beanies and gloves for $3.99.
With discounts of $20-$40, the deals on footwear weren’t the best we’d ever seen, but for consumers in need of new running shoes they were still worth checking out:
- Asics GEL Kayano 19 running shoes: $114.99 ($35 off)
- Asics GEL-Evate running shoes: $99.99 ($30 off)
- GEL-Contend or GEL-Venture running shoes: $39.99 ($20 off)
- Asics GT-2000 running shoes: $89.99 ($30 off)
- Asics GT-1000 running shoes: $59.99 ($40 off)
Other deals at Sports Authority last year included some handy coupons:
- $25 cash card for purchases of The North Face merchandise totaling at least $125
- $25 cash card for purchases of Columbia merchandise totaling at least $125
The coupons were valid from Thursday through Saturday and offered a cool reward for shoppers planning on making large purchases from those brands. The purchase of two fleece jackets from The North Face (discounted $29, to $69.99), for example, would have qualified shoppers to receive the $25 cash card.
Consumers looking for similar items should also check out Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops for great deals on outdoor apparel, camping equipment and more. For a full list of 2014 Black Friday ad scans, check out NerdWallet’s Black Friday ad leaks page.
Written by Melinda Szell
Sports Authority store: CarbonNYC/Flickr: Source