Part of the fun of Black Friday shopping is the sheer anticipation of great deals. With that anticipation comes speculation—rumors on everything from store opening times to hot discounts are swirling, keeping shoppers guessing what’s real and what isn’t. The Black Friday ads are of course one way to prepare for the shopping holiday, but let’s take a closer look at the rumors.
Store Opening Times
Stores are opening increasingly earlier to appease Black Friday crowds. Macy’s and J.C. Penney have already announced they’ll be opening their doors at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving evening. Many other stores haven’t officially confirmed their opening times yet, but rumor has it shoppers can expect doors to open at the following times:
- Best Buy — midnight on Black Friday
- Old Navy — midnight on Black Friday
- Express — midnight on Black Friday
- Toys R Us — 9pm on Thanksgiving night
- Target — Thanksgiving night
- Walmart — 8pm Thanksgiving night
- Kohl’s — 8pm on Thanksgiving night
- Levi’s — 6am on Black Friday
- Radio Shack — 8am on Black Friday
- Kmart — 5am on Black Friday
- Meijer — 4am on Black Friday
For those who prefer to do their Black Friday shopping from home out of convenience or even safety concerns, it’s expected that online sales will begin more than a week in advance, on November 20. Making these deals available for longer periods of time helps stores avoid the turmoil of servers crashing from too much traffic at once.
Instead of having one big ticket item, some stores appeal to Black Friday shoppers by offering deep discounts on many or all items. Sale rumors expected to occur, but not yet confirmed, include:
- Levi’s: 40% off everything until 10am and 30% off for the rest of the day.
- Amazon: 2% to 40% off on gadgets and electronics. Discounts on popular Black Friday items like HDTVs, Smartphones, and laptops are expected. Additionally, the company may offer up to 60% off cameras.
- JC Penney and Macy’s: Confirmed earlier opening times than ever are causing predictions of the biggest sales to date and a ton of doorbusters.
- Express: 50% off the entire store and 40% off on Cyber Monday.
- Teleflora: This online store is predicted to offer great deals on flowers and gifts for the holiday season.
All Black Friday sales are not created equally. There’s always a few items in hot demand by bargain hungry shoppers. This year isn’t expected to be any different.
Top Black Friday items are rumored to be:
- Xbox 360
- Sony PS3
- Apple iPad
But let’s not forget hot new items that may have great turnouts too. Both the Xbox One and the Sony PS4 will be released prior to Thanksgiving, so prices for the Xbox 360 and the Sony PS3 could drop significantly. The Xbox one will sell for $499 and the PS4 will cost $399. Rumors are swirling that Black Friday prices for the Xbox 360 and the Sony PS3 could drop to low’s around the $200 mark.
While video games are always a hot commodity on Black Friday, rumor has it the “A Link between Worlds” 3DS bundle will only be sold at GameStop on Black Friday. If this is true, it’s sure to drive gamers to the store to snatch up this one-day deal.
It will be interesting to see which Black Friday rumors turn into reality and which ones are simply hoaxes. Most stores share their hours and sales with the public during the first two weeks of November, so eager shoppers don’t have too much longer left to wait.
Hearing Rumor image courtesy of Shutterstock.