You might think you’re bound to find bargains just walking into Kmart, but to ferret out the real deals you need to dig deep. We’ll show you how to shop smart for any of the myriad items this big-box retailer stocks.
Kmart burst onto the scene in 1962 and quickly made a name for itself as a good source for bargains. Whether you’re looking for an engagement ring, cat food, softball glove or even a swimming pool, Kmart’s expansive inventory offers shoppers a wide variety of stock at discount prices.
Kmart is known for reasonable prices, but it also has frequent sales, giving customers even deeper discounts. You can join the retailer’s rewards program to get alerts, but here are some other ways to figure out when sales are most likely to happen:
- Daily: Along with its “Attention, Kmart shoppers” tagline, the discount chain is also known for its recently resurrected “bluelight” specials. A couple of times a day during peak hours, a flashing blue light goes off, highlighting a different marked-down item for a brief period. In a nod to today’s online shopper, these specials are also available via the web and the store’s app, which you can program to send you a special alert.
- Weekly: There’s no shortage of bargains to be found here. Kmart has weekly sales, which vary according to location, “hot deals,” weekly member deals and other promotions.
- Black Friday: Shoppers looking for a head start on Black Friday need look no further than Kmart, which opened last Thanksgiving at 6 a.m., offering doorbusters like 50% off Christmas decorations and small kitchen appliances for $9.99, to name just a few.
- Clearance: With discounts of up to 50%, Kmart’s clearance section is an excellent source for bargains.
- Major holidays: If there’s a holiday, chances are Kmart will celebrate it by slashing prices. Some of the sales start days — even weeks — in advance, so check the website often. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for shopping holidays like back to school or seasonal transitions; buying your winter coat in March will leave you with plenty of money for hot chocolate.
Along with points earned on every purchase, Kmart’s loyalty program, Shop Your Way, guarantees every member at least $100 worth of coupons every day via its app. You can also link your credit card to Shop Your Way and earn points when you use it at partner businesses.
Personal shoppers are nothing new to high-end stores, but Kmart’s new Shoparazzi pilot program — currently available only in certain Chicago-area stores — promises to fulfill your shopping list, even if the store doesn’t carry the item.
Shop Your Way members get access to exclusive deals and coupons, though coupons also are available in weekly sales circulars and online. Downloading the Kmart or Shop Your Way app — both available via iTunes — also opens up a world of coupons.
Shipping and returns
Although online shopping doesn’t provide the same thrill of the hunt as navigating a brick-and-mortar shop, having someone show up at your door with your merchandise is its own special kind of fun. You can get free economy shipping on most orders over $50, or, if you’re going to be at the store anyway, you can have your goods shipped free to your local Kmart for pickup. There are shipping charges on oversized items, regardless of price, and Kmart Marketplace items are ineligible for free shipping.
If you’re not happy with your purchases, Kmart’s generous return policy allows customers with receipts to return merchandise, with all accessories and packaging intact, for a full refund or exchange within 30 days. There are exceptions to this rule, and the policy is not extended to Kmart Marketplace vendors, so read the return policy carefully before you order.
NerdWallet takes you shopping
One shopping trip to Kmart could outfit the kids for school, provide food for dinner and supply enough sports equipment to outfit a team — and all at reasonable prices. But before you buy, check the website for deals, join the Shop Your Way program and keep your eyes open for those bluelight specials.