On Oct. 17, 2018, American Airlines and Los Angeles World Airports broke ground on a $1.6 billion modernization project to reimagine Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) terminals four and five.
The updates could make waiting for your flight not just bearable, but enjoyable.
Most of the public-facing renovations are expected to be completed in time for the 2028 Summer Olympics, for which Los Angeles is the host city.
Some of the updates will include:
- Premium amenities: In addition to free Wi-Fi, other upgrades include more power outlets, new dining and retail options and modern restroom facilities.
- Upgraded lounges: The three Admirals Club lounges and a Flagship Lounge will offer full-service dining and even feature a “build your own cocktail” station. If you’re not paying for a first-class seat, you can still access airport lounges with smart spending.
- Less traffic: The Automated People Mover (APM) train system will connect to public transportation, meaning less roadway congestion.
- Breathing room: The unified gate complex will bring order and clarity to stressed travelers. The space-increasing update will feature 28 gates and 16 security screening areas.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
7 must-know tips for first-time flyers
6 secrets from flight crews to stave off travel exhaustion
This strategy is how I started earning major travel rewards