On Oct. 17, 2018, American Airlines and Los Angeles World Airports broke ground on a $1.6 billion modernization project to reimagine Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) terminals four and five.
The updates could make waiting for your flight not just bearable, but enjoyable.
Most of the public-facing renovations are expected to be completed in time for the 2028 Summer Olympics, for which Los Angeles is the host city.
Some of the updates will include:
- Premium amenities: In addition to free Wi-Fi, other upgrades include more power outlets, new dining and retail options and modern restroom facilities.
- Upgraded lounges: The three Admirals Club lounges and a Flagship Lounge will offer full-service dining and even feature a “build your own cocktail” station. If you’re not paying for a first-class seat, you can still access airport lounges with smart spending.
- Less traffic: The Automated People Mover (APM) train system will connect to public transportation, meaning less roadway congestion.
- Breathing room: The unified gate complex will bring order and clarity to stressed travelers. The space-increasing update will feature 28 gates and 16 security screening areas.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2019, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
7 must-know tips for first-time flyers
6 secrets from flight crews to stave off travel exhaustion
This strategy is how I started earning major travel rewards