Hawaiian Airlines checked bag fees are rising for flights between the mainland U.S. and the Hawaiian Islands.
There is a $5 increase on the first two checked bags, bringing the new total for the first checked bag to $30, and the second to $40. Carry-on luggage is still free.
The fee increase is based on booking date, not travel date: If your ticket was booked before Nov. 13, 2018, your checked bag rates are not affected.
Certain passengers, however, won’t experience the price hike. First-class passengers still get free checked bags. If you have flights within the Hawaiian Islands during your trip, the checked baggage rate stays the same: Passengers in the main cabin will pay $25 for the first checked bag, $35 for the second. And HawaiianMiles members get a discount on checked baggage rates within Hawaii but will pay the new rates if flying to the mainland U.S. as everyone else does.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2019, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards Visa® credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Southwest announces service to 4 Hawaii airports
How to save on your destination wedding in Hawaii
The life-changing magic of packing light