Like it or not, hotels often play a big part in your travel plans, which means they can sometimes make or break a vacation or work trip.
Unfortunately, no matter how much research you conduct on hotels to get the best spot for the best price, you can’t control everything. Sometimes, things happen: The hotel pool is closed. The Wi-Fi is basically non-existent. You find a better rate online mere hours after booking your rooms. Those are all things that can make your hotel stay quite unpleasant.
However, if you’re a Mastercard World or World Elite cardholder, consider yourself lucky: Many hotel-centric hassles are about to be a thing of the past.
The new benefits
Mastercard recently launched two new benefits for its World and World Elite members: the hotel stay guarantee and the lowest hotel rate guarantee.
The hotel stay guarantee allows cardholders who have problems with their 3-star or higher hotel to connect with a Mastercard lifestyle manager — at any time, on any day — who will then work with the hotel directly to resolve the issue. If the lifestyle manager is unable to fix the problem, they will book you and your party at a comparable hotel.
The second new benefit for World and World Elite members is all about saving some cash. Mastercard’s lowest hotel rate guarantee is exactly what it sounds like: If you book a hotel through Mastercard and then find a lower rate online, the difference will be refunded.
Of course the key to taking advantage of these two great new guarantees is that you must be a member of Mastercard’s World or World Elite programs. Mastercard has three cardholder levels — Standard, World and World Elite. As you might have guessed, the higher the level, the more benefits you’ll enjoy.
NerdWallet does not guarantee promotions or prices. They are subject to change or expiration.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Priceline’s top 15 millennial travel destinations
Fall 2018 hotel points promotions: Which ones are worth your time?
How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season