If you’re planning a trip to Israel anytime soon, there’s a new pass available that could save you money.
The Israel Nature and Parks Authority, the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety and the Ministry of Tourism recently teamed up to unveil the Israel Pass, which offers discounts of up to 20% on national park fees and public transportation. It’s like a transit card and a national park pass in one.
What the pass gets you
There are two Israel Pass options to choose from:
- A $23 card that includes admission to three national parks or reserves and an unloaded ride card.
- A $32 card that offers access to six national parks and an unloaded ride card.
Starting when you enter the first park, entries are good for two weeks.
Transit fares themselves cost extra. There are several fare options to choose from, including multiple rides or daily and weekly passes, and the ride card can be reloaded at any time.
» Learn more: 9 credit cards to take with you overseas
Where you can buy it
Currently, travelers can only purchase the pass at Tel Aviv’s Ben-Gurion Airport, at the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety booth in the arrivals hall of Terminal 3. It may be available in other locations soon.
Is it right for you?
An Israel Pass might seem like a good fit for someone outdoorsy, but Israel’s national parks also feature a lot of history that travelers shouldn’t miss. For example, the card can be used for entry to Bet Shean National Park, which has a stunning collection of ruins from the ancient Roman and Byzantine city of Bet She’an.
Visitors could also use the pass to see the place where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered at Qumran Park, or climb the iconic mountain in Masada National Park.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2020, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
9 credit cards to take with you overseas
NerdWallet’s top travel credit cards
How to make your next national park trip and adventure in savings