Sometimes the most lucrative sign-up bonuses aren’t available online.
We spotted this sign-up bonus for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card in the wild world of in-flight reading materials.
• Offer: Earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
• Seen: June 15, 2019, on a flight from San Jose to Baltimore.
• Offer details: Earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. That’s 10,000 more bonus points (though you have to spend $1,000 more to earn it) than the sign-up offer currently available on NerdWallet: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. For the bigger bonus offer, you must apply within Southwest’s in-flight entertainment portal using your own device, or at a Southwest airport kiosk.
• Card details: The card comes with a $149 annual fee, but it also offers perks like 7,500 bonus points after your cardmember anniversary, a $75 Southwest travel credit each year, four upgraded boardings per year when available and no foreign transaction fees. You earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases, plus 20% back on in-flight drinks and Wi-Fi. All other purchases earn 1 point per $1.
If you’re considering applying for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card and you can meet the higher spending requirement, you might want to wait until the next time you fly to get the boosted sign-up bonus.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2019, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Which Southwest Airlines credit card should I get?
NerdWallet’s top travel credit cards
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card review: Pay more, get more