When it comes to air travel, competition is good. Any time an airline adds new flights, it can drive down fares on every airline serving that route.
So TAP Air Portugal’s addition of two new Lisbon routes looks like good news for Chicago- and Washington, D.C.-based travelers.
In June, the airline will add five nonstop round-trip flights a week from Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport and five from Washington Dulles International Airport to Lisbon Airport.
Time your trip right, and your fare could be cheap. Seats in the economy cabin departing Dulles will start at just $265 each way. From Chicago, the one-way economy fares will start at $278.
Rather fly business class? For one of TAP’s lie-flat seats that stretch to more than six feet when fully reclined, fares will start at $1,456 each way from either departure city.
The airline also has an interesting option for passengers headed to any of the other 70-plus destinations it serves in Europe, Africa and Portugal: TAP’s Portugal Stopover program lets you stop in Lisbon on your way to points beyond and stay up to five nights at no extra cost. It’s like adding a mini-vacation without paying extra airfare.
TAP executives say they added the new route in response to the increasing popularity of Portugal as a travel destination. According to the website Travel Agent Central, in 2017, a record 20 million visitors headed to this sunny Iberian nation to wander its cobblestone alleys, tour ancient ruins, spread out on one of Portugal’s many beaches and explore the seaside town of Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.