Aw nerds! Looks like this page may be out of date. You can still check out our list of the Best Travel Credit Cards.
As the leaves begin to change, humidity begins to drop and kids go back to school, many of us are reminded that summer is coming to a quick end. But that doesn’t mean that summer trip sales are over.
For those travelers who want to get that final big trip this summer, or an excuse to use their earned cash back on a quick trip, airlines and hotels are offering one last chance at a summer getaway. Here are the best end-of-summer deals we found for hopeful travelers.
Most American carriers are offering deals on domestic routes, while Delta is offering certain deals on international flights. Check out the deals we found below, along with the brief terms and conditions you need to know.
Alaska Airlines: With their focus on being the preferred airline for West Coast travelers, Alaska Airlines is offering end-of-summer deals departing from four Los Angeles-area airports to across North America. Flight deals include:
- Los Angeles to Washington, D.C., for $125+ one-way.
- Los Angeles to Las Vegas for $51+ one-way.
- Los Angeles or Orange County to Los Cabos, Mexico, for $109+ one-way.
- Los Angeles to Maui for $249+ one-way.
To take advantage of these deals, travelers must book their flights by 11:59 p.m. on Sep. 3, 2018, with at least 21 days until departure. Some routes may be limited to certain days and may have blackout dates, so read the fine print before booking. If you hold the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card, you may be able to apply the card companion pass to these fares for extra savings.
» Learn more: Is an airline credit card the right choice for your travel goals?
- New York (JFK) to Cancun, Mexico, for $304 round-trip.
- Boston to Bermuda for $366+ round-trip.
- Los Angeles to Shanghai for $962+ round-trip.
- Detroit to Seoul for $1,753+ round-trip.
- New York (JFK) to Brussels for $499+ round-trip.
- New York (JFK) to Amsterdam for $649+ round-trip.
While many of the fares to Asia and Europe are available between September and December, fares to Latin America and the Caribbean may not begin until January 2019. Be sure to understand when the fares are valid. Sales to the Asia-Pacific and European regions end on Aug. 29, 2018.
Frontier Airlines: With improvements to the Frontier Miles program, Frontier Airlines is adding more value to flying families. However, many of their end-of-summer deals are only available to Discount Den members. Sale examples include:
- Nashville, Tennesee, to Fort Myers, Florida for $29+.
- Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, to West Palm Beach, Florida for $29+.
- Atlanta to Miami for $29+.
- Charleston, South Carolina, to Philadelphia for $34+.
Membership in Discount Den costs $49.99 for one year, and is available for up to six people on an itinerary. Unless you plan on regularly flying Frontier, you may not get the full return on the annual fee.
» Learn more: How can you get started in maximizing frequent flyer programs?
United Airlines: Travelers in United hubs and focus cities can take advantage of a wide-ranging fare sale with dates available between Aug. 28, 2018, and Feb. 30, 2019. Sales options include:
- Chicago to Austin, Texas, for $266+ round-trip in standard economy.
- Chicago to Jacksonville, Florida, for $346+ round-trip in standard economy.
- Cleveland to New Orleans for $212+ round-trip in standard economy.
- Houston to Nashville, Tennessee, for $290+ round-trip in standard economy.
- San Diego to New Orleans for $346+ round-trip in standard economy.
Fares are available through Aug. 30, 2018, and apply to specific travel dates. Although basic economy fares are available for each of the listed routes, they may be subject to additional fees for carry-on luggage and seat selection. Those who purchase the standard economy fare can maximize their value with the United℠ Explorer Card, which offers one free checked bag for the primary cardholders and companions.
Southwest Airlines: Want to get away? For those who live near a Southwest city and are looking for a cheap opportunity to see the country, Southwest is offering several one-way specials on select routes. Discounted destinations include:
- Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, for $113+ one-way.
- Boston to Nashville for $100+ one-way.
- Buffalo, New York, to Tampa, Florida for $112+ one-way.
- Des Moines, Iowa, to Las Vegas for $164+ one-way.
- Hartford, Connecticut, to Orlando, Florida, for $110+ one-way.
- Phoenix to San Francisco for $74+ one-way.
Qualifying fares must be booked by Aug. 30, 2018 and at least 14 days in advance. The sale prices are valid for travel between Sept. 4, 2018 and Feb. 13, 2019. Although blackout dates apply, many of these fares should qualify for traveling with a friend with the Southwest Companion Pass.
Airlines aren’t the only ones offering one last chance to get away. Several major hotel chains are also offering discounts for travelers who need to take a break before summer ends:
- Hilton Honors: 15% off the advance purchase rate for Hilton Honors members.
- Marriott Rewards: Discounted Vacations by Marriott packages, along with discounts on hotel stays in Boston, New York, Tampa and Texas.
- World of Hyatt: Member offers in the Caribbean and Latin America, special offers in Austin, Nashville and New Orleans, and 15% off participating hotels with exclusive Member Rates.
- Radisson Rewards: Get a $25 gift card and 5% off when you stay two or more consecutive nights at select hotels.
- Wyndham Rewards: Stay two or more night and save 20% off the best available rate, or get 25% off at Caesars Entertainment hotels in Atlantic City and Las Vegas.
As with all deals, terms and conditions apply. To make sure you are getting the best deal for your money, read the fine print and make sure your booking qualifies for any promotional offers.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2019, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
7 Guaranteed Ways to Find Cheap Hotel Rooms
When Is the Best Time to Buy Airline Tickets?
Which Award-winning Hotels Give You the Best Value?