United Airlines is getting whimsical with its latest travel contest, giving you a chance to win a million miles. Instead of asking you to enter a random drawing, the carrier is seeking a photo or video from your best travel memory along with details of why it represents your favorite trip moment. You also have to describe where you’d go on your next adventure with 1 million United MileagePlus® award miles at your disposal. The judges are seasoned travelers who have journeyed around the world.
Here’s what you need to know to win the million-mile contest:
How to enter: There are two ways to enter the contest, and the deadline is 11:59 p.m. CST Aug. 28.
- Follow United and post your favorite travel photo or video on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #UnitedJourneyContest.
- Fill out a short form on the United Airlines website.
Entries are limited to one person or social media account. No matter how you enter the contest, include a short story — of no more than 280 characters — describing why the photo or video represents a special travel memory and where you’d go if you won.
How many prizes are being awarded: Three winners — two from the photo entries and one from video — will each receive 1 million United award miles. There are no second-place prizes.
How will the contest be judged: A group of globe-trotting United MileagePlus members will judge the entries on the basis of inspiration, creativity and uniqueness. You don’t have to photograph or video an exotic location to win. It’s about the traveler spirit: how your life was changed from that moment, highlighting an element of a destination someone else wouldn’t notice and capturing the fancy of a future traveler.
When winners will be notified: Winners will be informed on or around Sept. 19.
NerdWallet does not guarantee these terms and conditions.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2019, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Photo by Moxi Zhou.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Don’t let hidden hotel fees spoil your stay
How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season
Your Marriott Rewards transition checklist