Some credit cards come with so many features it can feel overwhelming to even begin to parse through the list. With so many benefits, it may be tempting to pick the credit card that comes with the longest list of perks, but it’s important to make sure those perks are relevant to your spending needs.
Here are the people who benefit most from The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express.
Businesses that spend close to or under $50,000
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is a great card for small businesses with annual spend under $50,000. For the first $50,000 in spend each year, you will receive a flat 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar on all purchases. This is not be the largest everyday points bonus out there, but The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express makes up for that with a $0 annual fee and other perks. Terms apply.
After the first $50,000 in spend, you’ll only receive one Membership Rewards point per dollar spent. Terms apply. In other words, if you spend more than $50,000 on your business annually, you may want to consider a different business credit card.
» Learn more: Full review of the AmEx Blue Business Plus
Businesses that spend in many categories
You will receive 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar regardless of where you’re spending your money. Terms apply. Many credit cards have special categories for bonus reward points such as gas, department stores or travel. If you consistently have high spend in those categories, choosing a card with high bonuses in the categories you spend in is a great way to maximize your rewards.
However, many businesses spend widely across many categories, and a flat-rate rewards structure may be more beneficial and won’t require you to constantly think about which card is the best option for your purchase. With The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, you’ll earn 2 points per dollar at that client dinner, when picking up office supplies, while booking plane tickets to that conference and at the post office.
» Learn more: NerdWallet’s best small business credit cards
Businesses with irregular spending or large purchases
Business owners know that not every month is the same. Big expenses — planned and unplanned — can cause peaks and valleys in your spending. The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is prepared for the realities of business ownership’s irregular purchases.
If this describes your business, you may appreciate the Expanded Buying Power option, in which American Express automatically enables you to spend beyond your credit limit to make big purchases. Terms apply. The amount available beyond your credit limit varies based on several factors, including payment history, credit record, known financial resources, and is determined automatically. You must pay the balance above your credit limit off each month to avoid penalties.
Small businesses that need employee cards
Give trusted employees their own employee card, and you’ll earn rewards on their business spending as well. The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express allows up to 99 employee cards per account, making this a great choice for the business that needs employee cards. Furthermore, you can establish easy spending limits by employee card to stay in control of employee spending. Terms apply.
» Learn more: Who can apply for a small business credit card?
Businesses that value business tools integrated with their card
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express also features integrated tools specific to helping businesses manage their expenses. Terms apply.
- American Express Business App: This tool for American Express business credit cards lets you add notes to transactions and connect receipts to avoid ambiguity when it comes time to reconcile expenses
- QuickBooks: Enroll in Connect to Quickbooks, and you can easily and automatically transfer card transactions to your QuickBooks Banking page in conjunction with the Spend Manager
- Year-end Summaries: Prepare for tax time and manage your spending with an annual breakdown of categories of spend
- Vendor Pay: Enjoy a complimentary one-user Basic Plan to Vendor Pay by Bill.com. Use this tool to pay bills easily from one simple interface and using different payment options, invoice customers and import bills. Note that there is a transaction fee for paying bills on Bill.com with payment options other than your American Express.
Some small businesses may find the accounting and bill pay features redundant to systems already in use. For others, this could be the perk that vaults The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express to the top of the list for small-business credit cards.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2020, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards Visa® credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Find the best travel credit card for you
The cool way one small business uses credit card rewards
Earn more points and miles with these 6 strategies