When Marriott and Starwood merged, it created a collection of hotels with over 7,000 properties and 31 brands around the world. For members of the new Marriott Bonvoy program, the awards are ample. Not only will you have multiple hotel redemption options, but you also can shop your favorite stores, attend one-of-a-kind events, enjoy spa treatments and stock up on gift cards. All while earning and redeeming points.
» Learn more: Marriott Rewards program: The complete guide
How many points are needed for a free night?
Marriott Bonvoy awards can be cashed in for a free night, starting at 5,000 points per night for off-peak awards, ranging all the way up to 100,000 points for a peak award at a top-tier hotel.
Although Marriott gives you access to your points without any blackout dates, peak and off-peak pricing goes into effect on Sept. 14, 2019, and makes it harder to redeem awards at your convenience.
Marriott Bonvoy include the following brands:
- AC Hotels.
- Aloft Hotels.
- Autograph Collection Hotels.
- Courtyard Hotels.
- Delta Hotels.
- Design Hotels.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites.
- Four Points.
- Gaylord Hotels.
- Homes & Villas by Marriott International.
- JW Marriott.
- Le Meridien.
- Marriott Executive Apartments.
- Marriott Vacation Club.
- Moxy Hotels.
- Protea Hotels.
- Renaissance Hotels.
- Residence Inn.
- Ritz-Carlton Reserve.
- St. Regis.
- SpringHill Suites.
- The Luxury Collection.
- Tribute Portfolio.
- TownPlace Suites.
- W Hotels.
How many points will I earn on hotel stays and how can I use them?
Most Marriott brands offer 10 points per $1 spent. The exceptions are Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites and Element hotels, which offer 5 points per $1. Marriott’s Executive Apartments and ExecuStay partner properties give you just 2.5 points per $1 and 1 elite night credit for every three nights.
5th night free awards
Marriott also offers the fifth night free on award reservations. Who doesn’t love an immediate perk when staying at a hotel?
Marriott does offer lower redemption rates under PointSavers. Off-peak PointSavers awards start at 4,000 points per night and range all the way up to 90,000. You can find the list of participating properties on the Marriott PointSaver page under “Participating hotels with available dates.”
Cash + Points
If you don’t have enough points for a stay in any of Marriott’s categories, you can follow the Cash + Points chart, which is simple and straightforward. A free night starts as low as 1,500 points and $50. Even during peak season, the rates start at just 4,500 points and $55.
Instead of cashing in 10,000 points for a peak night at a Category 1 hotel, it may be worth it to save those points for better use and opt for a Cash + Points award instead. Especially if you use a credit card that earns bonus points at Marriott hotels.
Need more points? Loyalty is rewarded
Marriott Bonvoy gives its loyal members extra points, as is the case with most rewards programs offering elite status. If you reach elite status, you can earn upgrades and bonus points:
- Silver Elites earn 10% bonus points.
- Gold Elites earn 25% bonus points and 250 – 500 welcome points (depending on the brand).
- Platinum Elites earn 50% bonus points.
- Titanium and Ambassador Elites earn 75% bonus points.
Earn more points with Marriott credit cards
Marriott offers several co-branded credit cards, enticing travelers to sign up with bonus point rewards. The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card offers automatic Silver Elite status. Every card anniversary, you will earn a free night valid up to 35,000 points. Another benefit of the card is earning 6x per $1 at participating Marriott hotels and 2 points per $1 everywhere else, helping you reach rewards faster. Terms apply.
The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card offers complimentary Silver Elite status and a free anniversary night up to 35,000 points in exchange for a $125 annual fee. This card also earns 6 points per $1 spent at Marriott properties, as well as 4 points per $1 at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations and wireless telephone services. All other purchases earn 2 points per $1 spent. Terms apply.
How else can you use Marriott Bonvoy points? Let us count the ways
The great thing about Marriott Bonvoy is that awards are not only good for free rooms. Other ways of redeeming points include the following:
- Redeeming your points for flights with Marriott’s more than 40 participating airline partners. You’ll receive 5,000 bonus miles for every 60,000 points transferred. The transfer ratio is 3:1 for most programs.
- Hotel + Air Packages starting at 255,000 Marriott points in exchange for 50,000 airline miles and 7 nights at a property up to Category 1 – 4 hotel.
- Marriott Bonvoy Moments allows you to redeem points for experiences like concerts, award shows and sporting events.
- Shop and purchase gift cards at dozens of retailers: $10 gift cards start at 5,000 points, up to $100 cards for 30,000 points. They include big names like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kohl’s, Lowe’s, Macy’s, Pottery Barn, Spa Finder and Target.
- Redeem 10,000 points or less for numerous items through its Rewards Within Reach. You’ll find gift cards, household items and more. It’s constantly changing, so check in often to see if there is anything you’d like to take home.
- Gift your points as donations: 2,500 points is the equivalent of $5 in donations, with 140,000 points equating to $500 for organizations such as the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals or the American Red Cross.
Marriott Bonvoy has a large network of properties worldwide, and chances are you may, at some point, find yourself needing to stay at one of their properties. When you do, you’ll know all you need to maximize its award chart.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2019, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards Visa® credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Find the best travel credit card for you
Which Marriott Bonvoy credit card should I choose?
Best hotel credit cards