AT&T GoPhone offers access to AT&T’s strong network at lower prices, though the plan structures might not work for all consumers’ mobile habits.
AT A Glance
- Monthly GoPhone plans start at $30 for unlimited talk and text
- Notables: Strong pay-as-you-go plans, including a $2 daily plan. Rollover data included on select monthly plans. Unlimited plan limits LTE download speed.
AT&T GoPhone plans
- Unlimited talk and text, no data: $30
- 1GB: $35
- 6GB: $45
- Unlimited data: $65
Video streaming on the unlimited data plan is restricted to standard definition (480p), and LTE data download speeds are restricted to 3 megabits per second. LTE download speeds usually average around 10Mbps.
You can have up to five lines on one plan, with each additional line receiving a discount. You get $5 off the second line, $10 off the third, $15 off the fourth and $20 off the fifth.
Pay as you go
- Daily plan: $2 per day for unlimited minutes and texts. You are charged only if you place or receive a call or send a text. There’s no charge on days you don’t use your phone.
- Per-minute plan: 25 cents per minute, 20 cents per text message.
AT&T’s pay-as-you-go plans don’t include data. Any data used is charged at a rate of 1 cent per 5 kilobytes. On the $2 daily plan, you can buy a day data pass for $1, which gives you 100 megabytes to use for the day.
» MORE: Best cell phone plans
AT&T’s prepaid network
AT&T has a top-notch network, and GoPhone customers use the same towers as those on the carrier’s traditional plans. However, prepaid customers aren’t given priority. That means that during peak times, GoPhone customers may experience slower data speeds than those on a regular plan.
How AT&T GoPhone plans compare on price
|1GB or less||2-4GB||5-7GB||8-10GB||Unlimited|
|*Republic Wireless customers pay $15 for unlimited talk and text. Data is billed at a rate of $5 per gigabyte.|
|AT&T GoPhone||$35 (talk and text only)||$45 (6GB)||$65|
|Boost Mobile||$35 (3GB)||$50|
|Cricket Wireless||$25 (talk and text only)||$30 (2GB)||$40 (5GB)||$60|
|MetroPCS||$30 (2GB)||$40 (5GB)||$50|
|Republic Wireless*||$15 (talk, text and Wi-Fi)|
|Sprint prepaid||$45 (4GB)||$65|
|Straight Talk Wireless||$30 (1,500 minutes, unlimited texts and 100MB data)||$35 (2GB)||$45 (10GB)||$55|
|T-Mobile prepaid||$45 (4GB)||$55 (6GB)||$75|
|Verizon prepaid||$30 (talk and text only)||$40 (3GB)||$50 (7GB)||$60 (10GB)||$80|
Updated June 23, 2017.