Demand is high for the latest cellphones (and cellphone plans) this holiday season, and Black Friday shoppers can snag deals on even the hottest models, such as an iPhone 6S Plus or Samsung Galaxy S6, by looking no further than their local big-box store.
Target, Wal-Mart and Best Buy are knocking as much as $200 off some of the most popular smartphone models. We scanned the retailers’ 2015 Black Friday ads to find you the best deals.
Best deals on Samsung phones
Eyeing the new Samsung Galaxy S6? How about the Samsung Note 5? If the answer is yes, you want to head to Target, which is offering steep discounts on select Samsung models. You also can choose to take the phone home with no money down and a $250 store gift card in hand (Page 4).
- Option 1: Samsung Galaxy S6 or Note 5 for no money down and a $250 Target gift card
- Option 2: Samsung Galaxy S6 or Note 5 for 1 cent
- Requires installment billing or new two-year plan with Verizon, Sprint or AT&T
- Subject to credit check, and an activation or upgrade fee may apply
Best Buy also is offering a solid deal on Samsung phones on Black Friday. You can purchase a Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge or S6 Edge+ and get a $250 store gift card (prices vary, Page 1). Or you can forgo the gift card in favor of a steep phone discount, like the Galaxy S6 Edge with 32GB memory for $1 or the S6 Edge+ for $149.99. In either case, a lease or installment plan is required.
Best deals on iPhones
If an iPhone is on your list this year, Best Buy and Target are both running promos on the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.
Target is giving Black Friday shoppers their choice of two deals — $50 off or a $250 Target gift card — on the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus (Page 5). Here are the details:
- iPhone 6S (16GB) for $149.99 or iPhone 6S Plus (16GB) for $249.99 with qualifying two-year plan on Verizon, Sprint or AT&T
- No money down and a $250 gift card with installment billing
- Subject to credit check and an activation or upgrade fee
And at Best Buy, you’ll get a $200 store gift card when you trade a working iPhone 5 or newer for an iPhone 6S or 6S Plus (Page 16). Prices for the new phones vary and a new two-year agreement or monthly installment plan with Verizon, AT&T or Sprint is required.
Best deals on prepaid cellphones
If a new phone is on your Black Friday wish list but a new two-year contract is not, consider a prepaid cellphone. You can score up to 85% off select prepaid phones at Best Buy and as much as 75% off at Wal-Mart:
- Motorola Moto E with 4G LTE on Verizon Wireless Prepaid for $9.99 at Best Buy, regularly $69.99 (Page 3)
- LG Tribute 2 on Virgin Mobile for $19.99 at Best Buy, regularly $99.99 (Page 27)
- ZTE Paragon with 4G on NET10 Wireless for $4.99 at Best Buy, regularly $29.99 (Page 28)
- LG Sunset LTE on Straight Talk Wireless for $24 at Wal-Mart, regularly $99.92 (Page 9)
- Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime on Straight Talk Wireless for $49 at Wal-Mart, regularly $199.99 (Page 9)
Many of these deals are doorbusters and only available in store, so plan your Black Friday shopping accordingly.
For advice on a new cellphone plan, check out:
Cellphone in hand image via Shutterstock