T-Mobile is hoping to merge with Sprint, but the agreement still has several hurdles to clear. Until then, it’s business as usual for T-Mobile customers. T-Mobile’s network is fast and reliable in urban areas, but it lags behind other carriers in national and state-level network tests, according to an annual report by RootMetrics.
AT A Glance
- Plans start at $65 for unlimited data.
- Notable: Netflix included with some plans; excellent international roaming perks
T-Mobile cell phone plans
T-Mobile has three main unlimited plans, as well as specialty plans for seniors and members of the military. You can save $5 per month on any unlimited plan if you opt for automatic payments. The price listed below is for one line, before any discounts.
- Essentials ($65): Video streams in standard definition. Unlimited mobile hot spot data is included, but at 3G speeds, which is slightly slower than the 4G data speed you get on your smartphone. International features include unlimited texting while outside of the United States. International features also include talk, text and 2G data (read: slow) in Mexico and Canada.
- Magenta ($75): Video streams in standard definition. This plan includes 3GB of high-speed (4G LTE) mobile hot spot data, plus a basic Netflix subscription if you have multiple lines. International features include talk, text and 5GB of high-speed data in Mexico and Canada, plus unlimited texting and data at 2G speeds (up to 128kbps) in more than 200 countries. Taxes and fees are included in the price of the plan.
- Magenta Plus ($90): Video streams in HD. This plan includes 20GB of high-speed mobile hot spot data, plus a standard Netflix subscription if you have multiple lines. International features include talk, text and 5GB of high-speed data in Mexico and Canada, plus unlimited texting and data with speeds up to 256kbps in more than 200 countries. That’s slightly faster than on the Magenta plan, but uploading photos and videos would still be a pain. Taxes and fees are included in the price of the plan.
T-Mobile One Military
T-Mobile offers a discounted rate on the Magenta and Magenta Plus plans to military service members, veterans and their families. T-Mobile Magenta Military starts at $60 for one line, before autopay discount.
Customer’s age 55 or older can get two lines of unlimited service starting at $65 per month; $55 if you opt for automatic payments.
T-mobile family plans
T-Mobile customers can have up to 12 lines on a family plan, if they qualify, but you will need to call customer service of visit a store if you need more than five lines. There is one exception: The 55+ plans are capped at two lines. Learn more about T-Mobile family plans.
T-Mobile prepaid plans
T-Mobile’s prepaid plans have monthly and pay-as-you-go options. The monthly options function much like the carrier’s traditional plans, but they don’t require a credit check. Learn more about T-Mobile prepaid plans.
T-Mobile unlimited plan: How it compares on price
Prices listed are for the least expensive plan when more than one unlimited plan is available. The pricing doesn’t include taxes, fees or autopay discounts.
|Monthly price comparison||1 line||2 lines||3 lines||4 lines|
|*Restricted LTE data download speeds.|
You could be saving up to $50 per month on your bills. See how much you could save.
NerdWallet can help you lower your bills and find you more ways to save money.