Senior Data Engineer
NerdWallet is seeking a driven and analytical Data/ETL engineer to join our Data Engineering team. Come join this team of highly motivated engineers to build something meaningful that is a true enabler of data-driven insight. Help us build a brand new data platform, generate business insights, identify business trends, break data roadblocks and answer challenges for this fast growing organization. Successful candidates will partner with other Analytics team members and business partners to understand data, build data warehouse infrastructure, data structures, and data pipelines, and collect and enrich data to generate insights.
At NerdWallet we are building a brand new Data Analytics platform. We are just getting started and these are very exciting times for Data Engineering. We are building this platform by challenging the current technology status quo and the “traditional” approach to Data Warehousing.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the personal finance space and NerdWallet's mission. This position is based in San Francisco and will report to the Head of Data Engineering.
Where you can make an impact:
- Driving highly visible projects for NerdWallet. Projects include setting up a data warehouse, working with engineering to consume tracking data, and developing a flexible data model for unstructured data.
- Centralizing information and supporting the analytics team to deliver world-class insights.
- Highly productive: ability to be highly productive with minimal oversight on a day-to-day basis. This role is intended for somebody who is passionate about data and developing solutions to generate data insights.
- Structured thinking: ability to develop and leverage frameworks to enable scalable data management to hit short-term goals while keeping an eye on long-term solutions.
- A company first, positive attitude: must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment.
- Multi-tasking prioritization expertise: experience (and preferably an enjoyment of) balancing numerous different priorities and demands.
- 5+ of data warehousing experience. Experience with non-structured data a plus.
- 5+ of work experience with RDBMS. Expertise in SQL.
- Scripting proficiency in Python is a must have.
- Prior experience with Marketing domain or technologies like Google Adwords, FB Marketing is a big plus.
- Experience with Google Analytics, Adobe Omniture is a plus.
- Good understanding the Big Data technology trends, with knowledge of streaming technologies such as Storm, Kafka, Kinesis, Flume is a big plus.
- Experience with ETL and BI tools. Well versed in Linux/Unix operating system. Experience with Shell scripting.
- Undergraduate degree from a top-tier university. BS in Engineering, Computer Science or Math a plus.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.