Back End Engineer (India)
NerdWallet is seeking a Back End Engineer to help us optimize performance and scale our systems to handle the ever-increasing traffic and complexities across our web and mobile applications. At its core, our Back End Engineering team powers NerdWallet’s personalized experiences via user profiles, recommendations, and cross-platform communications. The ideal candidate will be a crucial member of our engineering team and help design, build, and maintain systems necessary to continue our rapid growth.
We're looking for engineers who are excited about the challenge of building and scaling systems that serve information 24/7 for a constantly growing community. If you enjoy dealing with large scale challenging problems and want your work to reach millions people around the world you are an ideal candidate for our team.
As a Back End Engineer on the team, you will help lead an innovative engineering team to build easy to use tools and services that will be utilized across our product, engineering, and design organizations. Your contributions will power the next generation product use cases that drive all our NerdWallet’s user engagement. You will get the technical freedom to guide the architecture for top notch performance and reusability while communicating trade offs between technical debt, quality, and speed.
Where you can make an impact:
- Design and lead the development of high-performance, secure, scalable and delightful consumer-first experiences that improve the lives for millions of users.
- Build out the service architecture that interfaces the front-end stack to seamlessly talk to our identity services, data layer or business partner APIs.
- Architect, develop and drive improvements to our evolving backend and frontend infrastructure.
- Implement product features that have a direct impact on user engagement and monetization.
- Customer focused: You are passionate about creating web applications that improve the lives for millions of users and building delightful user experiences.
- Communication and collaboration: You are able to work effectively with others. You will be working closely with other engineers, designers, product managers, user research scientists and customer groups to build product features and high quality products.
- Leadership: You have demonstrated feature development ownership, can lead by example and enjoy mentoring and inspiring other engineers.
- High-energy, company first, positive attitude: Must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment.
- Worked with very large databases (SQL/NOSQL) - Schema design and Query design
- Experienced in System Design, Algorithms, and Memory Management for massive scale in distributed environments
- Hands on expert level experience in Node.JS, Java or Python backend frameworks
- Passionate about well written and well tested code including unit and integration tests
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field.
- 5+ years of engineering experience with a proven track record of building consumer web applications or services.
- Experience influencing strategy within their working group, proactively identifying and resolving technical issues before escalation is required.
- Can define complex projects and deliver them with larger groups (3+) of other engineers; this goes hand in hand with identifying engineering-team wide issues and raising them to management.
- Expert in representing project status and communicating with product and technology leadership. Past Scrum Master experience a plus.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.