Writer (Personal Loans)
NerdWallet is looking for a solid writer with an entrepreneurial spirit. Ideally, you have experience writing about personal finance and can clearly and expertly inform and guide consumers toward smart financial decisions.
You are passionate about writing. You strive to engage and satisfy your readers. You constantly hone your writing skills and style. At the same time, you understand that your job involves more than reporting and writing new content. Rather, a significant amount of your time involves refining existing stories according to SEO best practices, testing and measuring your work, and refining again.
Your day may involve writing a detailed review of a loan product, pitching a story idea for syndication, updating a search answer, gathering data for lender ratings, building the case for a new section of content, testing a calculator or quiz, editing a colleague’s work, or pitching in on a presentation for the content team.
You also want to help build a business and a positive working environment. You dig in to understand what drives our business and how your work contributes. You're comfortable with change and taking constructive criticism. You work with equal enthusiasm whether you’re a project leader or team member. In either situation, you own your role and strive to over-deliver.
That's what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet. We cover consumer finance, including the following topics: credit cards, banking, personal loans, student loans, mortgages, insurance and investing. Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem solve effectively. We're adaptable. We're highly collaborative. We’re also nice people.
Where you can make an impact:
- Help NerdWallet’s 100M+ annual visitors better understand their personal finances and how to make smart financial decisions.
- Research and write multiple stories per week, both new and refreshes of live stories.
- Use your expertise in SEO and competitive analysis to hypothesize story angles and optimizations; measure and report on multiple key metrics; and scale your wins across topic areas.
- Follow emerging trends and contribute topic ideas that integrate with business and marketing strategies.
- Collaborate with other writers and your editors to constantly up-level your writing, content optimization and other skills.
- Share consumer insights and timely/relevant ideas to support social, email, media strategy and syndication channels.
- A very strong and versatile writer who can quickly grasp and cover any financial topic.
- Data-driven, with an understanding of SEO and ability to translate content performance into clear insights and actionable improvements.
- Excellent at time management, prioritization and handling multiple projects at once.
- A strong communicator who can empathize with consumers and help them navigate complex financial decisions.
- Scrappy and fast-paced, with obsessive attention to detail.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
- 2 to 5+ years writing for consumer-facing publications
- Experience at a fast-growing startup a plus
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
- Remote: co-working space subsidy
- Remote: ergonomic desk, chair and/or keyboard subsidy
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.