Assistant Assigning Editor (Travel Rewards)
NerdWallet is looking for an assistant assigning editor with an entrepreneurial spirit to join our Travel Rewards team. This is a nonmanagerial role, but successful AAEs may be candidates for future management positions on our content team.
To be a successful assistant assigning editor at NerdWallet, you must:
- Be passionate about helping readers and ensuring that NerdWallet’s articles are consistently engaging, clear and actionable.
- Edit consistently at a high level, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style but also at a big-picture level.
- Be comfortable with change and constructive criticism.
- Work with equal enthusiasm whether you’re leading a project or working within a team.
- Be able to handle challenging conversations effectively.
- Collaborate well with writers and other editors.
That's part of what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet, where we guide consumers on a broad range of financial topics, including credit cards, banking, personal loans, student loans, mortgages, insurance and investing.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We're adaptable. We're highly collaborative.
Where you can make an impact:
- Bring a passion for travel and expert knowledge of loyalty and rewards programs, and credit card points.
- Understand SEO and optimize content for ranking, engagement and monetization. At times this may be a substantial portion of your role.
- Ideate, assign, edit and oversee production of content, as needed.
- Develop a basic understanding of the Travel Rewards business plan and objectives, and how content fits into that plan.
- Help develop writers and offer feedback on their day-to-day performance and their performance reviews.
- Ensure content is high-quality and user-first and brings clarity to travel financial decisions.
- Demonstrate growing editorial judgment and topic expertise.
- Show growing creativity and produce different types of quality content within guidelines laid out by assigning editors.
- Go beyond surfacing teamwide problems to offer expertise, conceiving of solutions and helping to implement them.
- Look for opportunities to extend your influence beyond your immediate team, such as through special projects.
- Be a strong communicator who truly enjoys helping everyone improve.
- Recognize when elements of an article seem out of alignment with a good user experience and recommend solutions.
- Advocate for consumers by editing for clarity and accuracy.
You are someone who:
- Is an expert editor and editing coach.
- Can handle the logistics and demands of large projects.
- Makes good prioritization decisions, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task.
- Excels at time management, prioritization and handling multiple tasks at once.
- Is scrappy and fast-paced, with obsessive attention to detail.
- Is resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle a variety of assignments with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
- 3 to 5+ years editing for consumer-facing publications, preferably with an emphasis on travel.
- Experience in a startup environment is a plus.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend toward learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner and kitchens stocked with snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
- Remote: co-working space subsidy
- Remote: ergonomic desk, chair and/or keyboard subsidy
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.