Software Engineer Intern (Summer)
At NerdWallet, we are passionate about helping consumers make the right financial decision by building delightful product experiences. We are looking for talented Software Engineering Interns who are passionate about working in a dynamic, high-growth start-up environment. As an intern, you have a real opportunity to make a meaningful and positive impact on how consumers interact with their finances. You will be fully embedded into one of our teams and work on a variety of technical challenges (front-end, back-end, full-stack, mobile) to help design, build and maintain high-performance scalable systems that will support NerdWallet’s rapid growth. Our Engineering culture offers continuous learning. It is an environment where we value creativity, teamwork and a “consumer-first” product culture.
During your time here, you will be embedded onto a team and paired with a technical mentor and manager who are there to help you succeed. Our small teams of “Nerds” provides you with the unique experience to collaborate and learn from seasoned engineers in our organization enabling you to have a significant impact in building our products. All Engineering Interns work in cross-functional multidisciplinary teams that include Product Owners and Designers to allow you to understand the direct impact of the products we build. By the end of your internship, you will be well on your way towards becoming a well-rounded Software Engineer and Product Innovator who embodies the unique NerdWallet culture.
Where you can make an impact:
- Design and build web and mobile products that are performant, secure, scalable and sustainable.
- Build and extend search, machine-learning and content infrastructure that enables NerdWallet users to search for and find relevant and personalized content.
- Drive improvements to our back end, data and front end infrastructure that will scale as NerdWallet’s products and audience grow.
- Develop and extend a crowd-sourced Q&A platform that helps consumers by connecting them with subject-matter experts in personal finance.
- Build interesting tools for data quality, data integration, performance, QA and Operations (on top of AWS) that will make a positive impact on our software development process and site-operations.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Familiarity with technologies like React, Redux, Node.js, Express.js, ElasticSearch, Flask, MySQL/Postgres, Kafka, Redis, AWS/Redshift.
- Passion and interest in learning new programming languages and emerging technology stacks.
- Passion about open-source software is a plus.
What we offer:
- 1-on-1 time and mentorship opportunities with senior leadership
- Breakfast and lunch daily with ranging cuisines
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas, kitchens stocked full of snacks and weekly company happy hours
- Intern events, ranging from social activities to our leadership speaker series
- Volunteer opportunities to give back to the local community
- Flexible hours, generous pay and a housing stipend
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.