Security Engineer Intern (Winter)
At NerdWallet we are looking for a software engineering intern who is passionate about helping consumers with all of life’s important financial decisions. We are a dynamic, growing start-up that takes pride in having the opportunity to meaningfully impact consumers’ lives. As a Nerd on the Security team, you will help us craft systems, processes, and tools that strive to provide a platform for Nerds to easily write secure code without having to become security experts themselves.
NerdWallet Engineering values creativity, teamwork and a “consumer-first” product culture. You will be paired with a mentor and have the opportunity to build relationships with experienced engineers, all of whom want to see you make a positive impact at NerdWallet through your internship. Being part of the Security team offers you a great opportunity to work with all engineering disciplines. We are committed to helping you develop the skills to become an engineer that can thrive in our Nerdy culture.
Where you can make an impact:
- Design and build solutions that enable engineers to build secure, scalable, and performant services
- Build libraries and frameworks for securing data that will ease development efforts for engineers
- Drive initiatives to improve infrastructure and application security by designing services that help engineers easily implement security requirements
- Evaluate and integrate tools with our build and deploy pipeline that helps developers address security issues before they become problems in the wild
- A creative and thoughtful problem solver: You have a passion for solving complex technical problems.
- Collaborative and communicative: You should be able to effectively work in a team and know when to ask questions. You will be working to provide engineers solutions that will make a significant impact on how they securely design and build the platforms that power NerdWallet.
- You recognize that security is a critical component of any product, and are interested in learning how things are broken and secured by understanding the methodology (penetration testing) used by hackers to discover and exploit security vulnerabilities.
- Passion and interest in learning new programming languages and emerging technology stacks.
- You are interested in contributing to open source.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- You do not need to come in with security knowledge, as you will have plenty of opportunities to learn on the job
What we offer:
- 1-on-1 time and mentorship opportunities with senior leadership outside of your direct team
- A culture buddy to help with organizational and cultural acclimation
- Breakfast and lunch daily with ranging cuisines
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas, kitchens stocked full of snacks and weekly company happy hours
- Company-sponsored intern events, ranging from social activities to leadership speaker series
- Volunteer opportunities to give back to the local community
- Flexible hours, competitive pay and housing stipend
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.