Product Manager (Personal Loans and Student Loans)
NerdWallet is in the business of putting personal finance knowledge in your wallet with accessible online tools and expert advice.
Personal Loans is one of the fastest growing verticals with many types of players: traditional banks, credit unions, financial services companies, and fintech lenders.
Millions of consumers come to NerdWallet every month looking for knowledge and insights about this newest personal finance product and acquiring it for their needs. Compared with other credit products that are available to consumers such as credit card or auto loans, personal loans can be a better product to some consumer segments. However, it is also a lesser accessible product. (credit score and income are the two common barriers)
Similarly, student loan refinance is a newer personal finance vertical, that millions of consumers might be able to benefit from this product. However, it is also a lesser accessible product with similar barriers.
You’ll be tasked with:
Creating the best-in-class portfolio of loan products or features catering to millions of consumers who might look for either personal loans and/or student loan refinance, knowing that they might be in different stages of their shopping journeys. These products and features aim to engage with loan users to help them determine the right products that they need and with the end goal of helping these users to eventually obtain the best personal loans and/or student loan refinance through NerdWallet and gaining their trust and advocacy for NerdWallet in the process.
Even more importantly, optimizing these products, many of which are the 1.0 MVP versions, to become the best in the industry in conversion and registration metrics.
Where you can make an impact:
- Help deliver the portfolio strategy of loan products and build these products to cater to millions of monthly loan users of different stages in their shopping journey.
- Be accountable for growing and delivering monetizing events, net conversion, and registration of our loan products.
- Own loan product metrics end-to-end, proactively identify issues and opportunities, and surface learnings to drive short and long term growth.
- Drive the development, prioritization and execution of product roadmaps in collaboration with Engineering, Data and Design; experience building product capabilities intended generalized re-use a plus.
- Exhibit sound product judgment and present clear measurable objectives that will lead to achieving business goals.
- Clearly communicate product ideas, user value, and benefits to our users and marketplace partners.
- Drive new feature development from start to finish - write specs, work cross-functionally with design and engineering, launch features, analyze results, synthesize learnings, and iterate.
- Mentor and support other members of the product team as we grow and scale.
- A Self-Starter/Team Player Attitude: You are excited by a fast-paced environment and the accountability that comes with owning large projects.
- Solid Business/Strategic Intuition: You are able to identify the right business opportunities, make prioritization calls, and devise clear action plans.
- Strong Product Intuition: You have a clear sense of how to gather insights and synthesize consumer needs.
- Strong Communication Skills: You can look at a complex set of data or user research learnings, synthesize them, and make them accessible to engineers, designers, and executives.
- Consumer-First Mindset: You obsess about how to make product experiences intuitive and ensure that you are prioritizing the consumer’s best interest in product decisions.
- Strong Design Sense: You have a high bar for quality product, and can work through design challenges to make a great product.
- Technical Chops: You speak intelligently with engineers and know how to build incrementally with a focus on the future.
- An Analytical Approach: You can properly evaluate the success or failure of features and use data to guide next steps.
- 2 to 4 years in product management at a consumer internet or mobile company.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably from a top tier university.
- Experience at a fast-growing startup with a track record of significant product optimization and growth, bringing a product MVP to industry-leading performance, and having experience in green-field product innovation based on consumers’ needs.
- Marketplace or affiliate marketing experience is preferred.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner, and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.