Level: Senior Associate
Location: Norwich, UK or Remote (Candidates must be based in the UK)
Employment type: FTE
NerdWallet, a website and mobile app delivering industry-leading financial guidance, tools and independent reviews, is expanding into the UK. Founded in 2009, NerdWallet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, with a UK office in Norwich. There’s a team of more than 400 Nerds (including 20+ in the UK) who are on a mission to provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions.
We have over 160 million visitors come to us every year as a trusted and objective source for information. We provide consumers with expert and actionable guidance across a range of personal finance topics, including credit cards, banking, loans, investing and general personal finance.
NerdWallet is looking for a full-time editor in the UK with an entrepreneurial spirit to help build a similar experience and resource for our UK audience — and help coordinate our growing team of UK financial experts. The role can be remote or based in our newly refurbished Norwich office.
Where you can make an impact:
- Understand SEO and optimise content for ranking and engagement. At times this may be a substantial portion of your role.
- Ideate, assign and oversee production of content, as needed.
- Help manage freelance writers, and prepare and edit their assignments.
- Develop an understanding of the business plan and objectives of your coverage area, and how content fits into that plan.
- Ensure content is high-quality, accurate and user-first, and brings clarity to personal finance decisions.
- Demonstrate growing editorial judgment and topic expertise.
- Show growing creativity and produce different types of quality content within guidelines laid out by assigning editors.
- Go beyond surfacing teamwide problems to offer expertise, conceiving of solutions and helping to implement them.
- Be a strong communicator who truly enjoys helping everyone improve.
- Recognise when elements of an article seem out of alignment with a good user experience and recommend solutions.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors in the UK with experience from Bloomberg, The Daily Mail, The Guardian, The Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, The Sunday Times, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers and editors who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We're flexible. We're highly collaborative.
You are someone who:
- Is passionate about helping readers and ensuring that NerdWallet’s articles are engaging, clear and actionable.
- Consistently edits at a high level, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style, but also at a big-picture level.
- Can effectively manage the logistics and demands of large projects and act with equal enthusiasm as a collaborator on other projects.
- Excels at time management and handling multiple tasks at once.
- Makes good prioritisation decisions, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task.
- Is tenacious and fast-paced, with strong attention to detail.
- Is resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle a variety of assignments with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
- Is relentless about self-improvement and at ease with constructive feedback.
- Is able to give constructive feedback, work through competing viewpoints and handle challenging conversations effectively.
- Collaborates well with writers and other editors.
This is our ideal wishlist, but most people don’t check every box on every job description. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Previous experience editing for consumer-facing publications in the UK.
- Experience in a startup environment is a plus.
- This role will be based in Norwich, UK or remote (based in the UK).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- Generous pension: NerdWallet offers up to 6% matched pension contribution.
- Time away: 25 days holiday per year.
- Wellness stipend: NerdWallet gives every employee a monthly wellness stipend. It is yours to use however you’d like.
- Career enrichment stipend: We value a growth mindset, and we never stop learning Each year, you will have funds to help you grow professionally in your role at NerdWallet.
- Mental health support: We take mental health seriously. To offer you mental health support, NerdWallet partners with Ginger, a chat-based mental health app. You are able to use Ginger anytime, any place.
- Legal support: NerdWallet offers access to online legal support through Rocket Lawyer.
NerdWallet is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic: age; gender reassignment; being married or in a civil partnership; being pregnant or on maternity leave; disability; race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin; religion or belief; sex; or sexual orientation. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process.