Level: Senior Associate
Location: Norwich, UK or 100% Remote (Based in the UK)
Employment type: FTE
NerdWallet, a website and mobile app delivering industry-leading financial guidance, tools and independent reviews, is expanding into the UK. Founded in 2009, NerdWallet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, with a UK office in Norwich. There’s a team of more than 400 Nerds (including 20+ in the UK) who are on a mission to provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions.
We have over 160 million visitors come to us every year as a trusted and objective source for information. We provide consumers with expert and actionable guidance across a range of personal finance topics, including credit cards, banking, loans, investing and general personal finance.
NerdWallet is looking for a full-time editor in the UK with an entrepreneurial spirit to help build a similar experience and resource for our UK audience — and help coordinate our growing team of UK financial experts. The role can be remote or based in our newly refurbished Norwich office.
To be a successful NerdWallet editor and thrive in our culture, you must:
- Be passionate about helping readers and ensuring that NerdWallet’s articles are engaging, clear and actionable.
- Edit consistently at a high level, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style, but also at a big-picture level.
- Be passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive feedback.
- Act with equal enthusiasm whether you’re leading a project or collaborating within a team.
- Be able to give constructive feedback, work through competing viewpoints and handle challenging conversations effectively.
- Collaborate well with writers and other editors.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers and editors who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We're flexible. We're highly collaborative.
Where you can make an impact:
- Understand SEO and optimise content for ranking and engagement. At times this may be a substantial portion of your role.
- Ideate, assign and oversee production of content, as needed.
- Help manage freelance writers, and prepare and edit their assignments.
- Develop an understanding of the business plan and objectives of your coverage area, and how content fits into that plan.
- Ensure content is high-quality and user-first, and brings clarity to personal finance decisions.
- Demonstrate growing editorial judgment and topic expertise.
- Show growing creativity and produce different types of quality content within guidelines laid out by assigning editors.
- Go beyond surfacing teamwide problems to offer expertise, conceiving of solutions and helping to implement them.
- Be a strong communicator who truly enjoys helping everyone improve.
- Recognise when elements of an article seem out of alignment with a good user experience and recommend solutions.
- Advocate for consumers by editing for clarity and accuracy.
You are someone who:
- Is an expert editor and writing coach.
- Can effectively manage the logistics and demands of large projects.
- Excels at time management and handling multiple tasks at once.
- Makes good prioritisation decisions, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task.
- Is tenacious and fast-paced, with strong attention to detail.
- Is resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle a variety of assignments with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
- Previous experience editing for consumer-facing publications in the UK.
- Experience in a startup environment is a plus.
What we offer:
- Remote equipment stipend: To help you work comfortably and ergonomically, NerdWallet will help you outfit your home office with a generous equipment stipend. This benefit is for Nerds who are based out of their home office.
- Wellness stipend: NerdWallet gives every employee a monthly wellness stipend. It is yours to use however you’d like.
- Career enrichment stipend: We value a growth mindset, and we never stop learning. Each year, you will have funds to help you grow professionally in your role at NerdWallet.
- Mental health support: We take mental health seriously. To offer you mental health support, NerdWallet partners with Ginger, a chat-based mental health app. You are able to use Ginger anytime, any place.
- Legal support: NerdWallet offers access to online legal support through Rocket Lawyer.
NerdWallet is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic: age; gender reassignment; being married or in a civil partnership; being pregnant or on maternity leave; disability; race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin; religion or belief; sex; or sexual orientation. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process.