Assistant Assigning Editor
NerdWallet is looking for an assistant assigning editor with an entrepreneurial spirit. This is a non-managerial role, but successful AAEs may be candidates for future management positions on our content team.
To be a successful Assistant Assigning Editor at NerdWallet, you must:
- Be passionate about helping readers and ensuring that NerdWallet’s articles are consistently engaging, clear, and actionable.
- Edit consistently at a high level, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style but also at a big-picture level.
- Be passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive feedback.
- Work with equal enthusiasm whether you’re leading a project or working within a team.
- Be able to give constructive feedback, work through competing viewpoints and handle challenging conversations with co-workers effectively.
- Collaborate well with writers and other editors as well as cross-functional teams.
That's part of what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet, where we guide consumers on a broad range of financial topics, including credit cards, banking, personal loans, student loans, mortgages, insurance, and investing.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from the Associated Press, Bloomberg, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers and editors who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We're flexible. We're highly collaborative.
How you can make an impact:
- Develop an understanding of the business plan and objectives of your coverage area, and how content fits into that plan.
- Learn SEO and optimize content for rank and engagement.
- Help develop writers and offer feedback on their day-to-day performance and their performance reviews.
- Ensure content is high-quality and user-first and brings clarity to personal finance decisions.
- Demonstrate growing editorial judgment and topic expertise.
- Show creativity and produce different types of quality content within guidelines laid out by assigning editors.
- Go beyond surfacing teamwide problems to offer expertise, conceiving of solutions and helping to implement them.
- Look for opportunities to extend your influence beyond your immediate team, such as through special projects.
- Be a strong communicator who truly enjoys helping everyone improve.
- An expert editor and editing coach.
- Able to handle the logistics and demands of large projects.
- Excellent at prioritizing assignments and projects, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task.
- Driven and fast-paced, with obsessive attention to detail.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle a variety of assignments with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 5+ years editing for consumer-facing publications
- Experience in a startup environment is a plus
- Knowledge of SEO best practices or interest in learning
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- WiFi stipend, work from home equipment stipend, and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.