Front End Engineer
At NerdWallet, we are passionate about building delightful user experiences and creating consumer products that impact millions of users. We are looking for talented Senior Frontend Engineers who will help us innovate and shape our products as we expand into new verticals. Our engineers are dedicated to changing how consumers interact with their finances and work in partnership with product owners and designers to evolve our product into a clean and seamless experience. The successful candidate enjoys building beautiful interfaces and connecting them to complex back end systems. You will be a crucial member of our engineering team and help design, build, and maintain systems necessary to continue our rapid growth.
NerdWallet Engineering offers a culture of constant learning and knowledge sharing; we are passionate about metrics and experimentation. Engineers are organized into cross-functional multidisciplinary teams and work closely with stakeholders. Our frontend stack is based in React/React-Native, and we use middlewares like Redux & GraphQL to connect to backend services written in Python and GoLang. We continue to expand our toolbox to use the best technologies for the job.
Where you can make an impact:
- Design and lead the development of high-performance, secure, scalable and delightful consumer-first experiences that improve the lives of millions of users.
- Architect, develop and drive improvements to our evolving frontend ecosystem, in collaboration with partner engineering teams.
- Implement product features and application improvements that have a direct impact on user engagement, acquisition/registration, and monetization.
- Shaping, improving, and architecting common infrastructure (e.g. design/build systems, component toolkits, with long term extensibility in mind.
- Improving page speed performance and other core web vitals.
- Customer focused: You are passionate about creating web applications that improve the lives for millions of users and building delightful user experiences.
- Communicative and collaborative: You are able to work effectively with others. You will be working closely with other engineers, designers, product managers, user research scientists and customer groups to build product features and high quality products.
- A leader and owner: You have demonstrated feature development ownership, can lead by example and enjoy mentoring and inspiring other engineers.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Understanding of best practices in front-end architecture, performance/performance profiling (e.g. Core Web Vitals, Lighthouse, SpeedCurve), scalability, and usability.
- Experience writing and maintaining tests (experience with frameworks like Jest, Mocha, Chromatic a plus)
- Ability to work cross-functionally and partner with product/design to implement and iterate on various page layouts, templates, and components.
- Experience with frameworks/libraries like Node.js, Express.js and middlewares like Redux/GraphQL a plus.
- Familiarity with Python, Ruby, Go, or other server-side languages is a plus.
- Experience spinning up and maintaining apps and services in the cloud (e.g. AWS) also a plus.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- WiFi Stipend, Work from home equipment stipend, and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.