Senior Platform Engineer
NerdWallet is seeking a Senior Platform Engineer to help us optimize performance and scale our systems to handle the ever-increasing traffic and complexities across our web and mobile applications. At its core, our Back End Engineering team powers NerdWallet’s personalized experiences via user profiles, recommendations, and cross-platform communications. The ideal candidate will be a crucial member of our engineering team and help design, build, and maintain systems necessary to continue our rapid growth.
Where you can make an impact:
- Build easy to use tools and services that will be utilized across our product, engineering, and design organizations.
- Technical freedom to guide the architecture for top-notch performance and reusability while communicating trade-offs between technical debt, quality, and speed.
- An engineer with experience in writing high-quality code in Go. Experience in Python is a plus.
- Someone who can define complex projects and deliver them with larger groups (3+) of other engineers; this goes hand in hand with identifying engineering-team wide issues and raising them to management.
- An expert in representing project status and communicating with product and technology leadership.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field
- 5+ years of engineering experience with a proven track record of building services for consumer web and mobile applications
- Experience with scaling and optimizing performance of distributed services
- Hands on experience with AWS (RDS, SNS/SQS) and Terraform
- Experience influencing strategy within their working group, proactively identifying and resolving technical issues before escalation is required
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- WiFi Stipend, Work from home equipment stipend, and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.