Position: Sub Editor
Location: Norwich, UK or Remote (Based in the UK)
Employment type: FTE
NerdWallet, a website and mobile app delivering industry-leading financial guidance, tools and independent reviews has expanded into the UK. Founded in 2009, NerdWallet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and has a UK office in Norwich. There’s a team of more than 600 Nerds (including 30+ in the UK) who are on a mission to provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions.
We have over 160 million visitors come to us every year as a trusted and objective source for information. We provide consumers with expert and actionable guidance across a range of personal finance topics, including credit cards, banking, personal loans, mortgages, insurance, motoring, business accounts and investing.
NerdWallet is looking for an experienced Sub Editor with an entrepreneurial spirit to assist in ensuring that only the highest-quality content is published on the NerdWallet site.
Where you can make an impact:
To be a successful Sub Editor at NerdWallet, you must:
- Edit consistently at a high level, demonstrating expertise in not only grammar and style but also at a big-picture level.
- Recognize when elements of an article seem out of alignment with a good user experience and recommend solutions.
- Edit under regulation, identifying and resolving copy that is not in compliance.
- Be passionate about advocating for readers and ensuring that NerdWallet’s articles are consistently engaging and actionable – as well as clear and accurate.
- Give constructive feedback to Writers, Editors and fellow Sub Editors, and be comfortable with change and constructive criticism.
- Help to develop co-workers and take on projects that benefit the entire Content Team.
- Understand when to escalate issues and when to solve them at the individual or team level.
- Be a strong communicator who truly enjoys helping everyone improve.
That’s part of what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, The Daily Mail, The Guardian, The Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, The Sunday Times, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers and editors who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We're flexible. We're highly collaborative.
- Adaptable and eager to grow, including working toward roles of greater responsibility beyond sub-editing. Some NerdWallet Sub Editors have had the opportunity to become Assignment Editors.
- An expert editor and editing coach.
- Able to handle the logistics and demands of large projects.
- Excellent at prioritising, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task and handling multiple tasks at the same time.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from sub-editing assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 3+ years of sub-editing experience for consumer-facing publications.
- Experience in a startup environment is a plus.
- This role will be based in Norwich, UK or remote (based in the UK).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What We Offer:
- Generous Pension: NerdWallet offers up to 6% matched pension contribution
- 25 days holiday per year
- Wellness stipend: NerdWallet gives every employee a monthly wellness stipend. It is yours to use however you’d like
- Career enrichment stipend: We value a growth mindset, and we never stop learning Each year, you will have funds to help you grow professionally in your role at NerdWallet
- Mental health support: We take mental health seriously. To offer you mental health support, NerdWallet partners with Ginger, a chat-based mental health app. You are able to use Ginger anytime, any place
- Legal support: NerdWallet offers access to online legal support through Rocket Lawyer
- Wifi stipend: NerdWallet gives every remote employee a monthly Wifi stipend.
NerdWallet is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic: age; gender reassignment; being married or in a civil partnership; being pregnant or on maternity leave; disability; race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin; religion or belief; sex; or sexual orientation. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process.